Anyone had a staph infection in hip prosthesis?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I initially had a BHR and suffered severe metallosis so the implant had to be removed. Extensive damage had been caused by this and revision surgery was carried out.

However, I now have a staph infection in my revised hip so now need yet another two operations, one to remove the hip and for six months have no hip whilst treatment is carried out to remove the infection. Once it has been cleared then I will have another prosthesis inserted.

Has anyone else had a staph infection as would be grateful to hear how you got in with the surgery and the outcome.

Many thanks.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I had a total hip replacement and somehow I contracted a staph infection. I did have the entire hip replacement removed. They then placed a spacer with antibiotics in the area. It is definitely walkable, just feels odd. I also had to do at home iv therapy which is not difficult once you get the hang of it. The part I didnt care for was the procedure you must go through to get a temporary iv line put in place that will be a part of you for as long as your treatments last . The six month period is to ensure you are infection free as you don't want to go through this again. They will probably also give you oral antibiotics for an extended period. You don't mention the condition of your other hip. If its in good shape you will be ok. If your other hip is weak it will just take a little more time. It will all be worth it in the end. If you have specific questions please feel free to message me. Good luck

Dana

• Posted

Dana,

I am under going a trh revision with an infection. My Doctor has placed a cement antibiotic spacer in my hip and I am now done with the 6 week IV antibiotic therapy. What I don't understand is I have been on my back since 4/13/16 because my doctor said I have to wear a hip brace and zero weight tolerance on it. What kind of hip spacer antibiotic can you out full weight tolerance on it? I have been laid up on my back with therapy helping me build up my strenght now with zron weight on my right le, very dificult to manage. What are your thoughts?

Kim

• Posted

Hello

I am 16 months post THR never pain free. Getting more painful. X rays are fine. I've done all the physio etc. My doc retired and can't find a doc to take on the challenge. What are the symptoms of infection? What should I watch for?

• Posted

Hi Dana

Thank you very much for taking time out to reply, your reply has reassured me somewhat. Were you without a hip for the predicted six months or were they able to fit your new hip sooner? During this period were you tested to see if the infection had gone?

My consultant's concern is that this will be operations 4 and 5 on the same hip. 1st operation aged 4.5 was bone graft because of dyplasia, then aged 44 a BHR was fitted because of severe ostheoarthritis, then aged 50 had to have this removed as I had metallosis. Apparently I have had this staph infection since my hip was revised in 2007. They are concerned that so much was cut away with the metallosis, more will have to be cut away because of infection. Also, my muscles do not work well on left leg because they have been cut each time I have had surgery.

My right hip is untouched but gives me pain as it is arthritic, not too bad yet but definitely getting worse. Apparently this hip is a bit dyplastic as well but has never given me any bother until now so never had it operated on,

Do you know if the infection gets progressively worse until surgery is performed? What symptoms did you experience?

Thank you so much for listening.

• Posted

i'm going through the same problems that you have including the metallosis, caused by metal cabling around my hip. The cable had to be taken out and the ball replaced. This was when they discovered the staph infection. I was in a nursing facility hooked up to the anti biotics for 5 weeks. I'm at home and taking oral anti biotics.  This is the 21st orthopedic surgery I've had since 2003, That includes 6 total hip replacements, miniscus reamed out in left knee, removal of several seroma caused by allergic reaction to the metal in both hips. This last surgery was Sept. 2016.  I have the anti biotics for about another month. I can't drive; it hurts too much to get in & out of the car. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I think my hip pain is worse instead of getting better. Perhaps I've been overdoing with the exercises. To tell the truth, I'm scared!  Thanks for listening.

• Posted

Several years ago I had a replacement right hip after falling from a ladder. It became infected with MRSA and was taken out, the MRSA treated, then refitted. This happened twice and I now have no hip at all?

Couldn't walk at all for a while but can now get around with no support needed. Bit slow but most of the pain has gone. This is as good as it gets for me!

Apparently this was standard before implants were invented.

Hope you have better luck!

Regards Andy Chaplin

• Posted

Andy, my 40 yr old son is still in recovery after having hip replacement removed. Long story short, during the removal the top of his femur splintered and they were unable to put in the spacer, and have just informed us that they will never be able to do the planned 2nd hip replacement. That he will live without a hip. He has always been a very active, strong, physical guy. I am broken hearted for him and am looking for anything to help encourage him when he hears the bad news.
  • Posted

My husband just had surgery again to remove the hip for a second time..it has had a staph infection twice...he had a soacer put in a year ago..a new hip in mar of this year and now another infection..how does this happen..how do you get infection..he was all clear..any suggestions??
    • Posted

Hi Pennylane.  I had THR in 2013 and developed a MRSA infection.  My hospital pre-screens for MRSA and I did not have it going in, but when the stitches/staples were removed, the discharge started and my fever rose.  They replaced the ball and socket and washed out and took samples then discovered it was MRSA.  PICC line and antibiotics for 6-8 weeks.  A few weeks after the PICC line was removed, the fever rose and pain intensified.  The hip replacement was removed and an antibiotic infused spacer was inserted.   Daily IVs for 8 weeks and a wound vac installed because a portion of the incision wasn't healing.  I developed blood clots and basically it was a miserable experience.    Before the 4th surgery I begged for a private room, my husband and son wiped down every surface and even brought my own plastic ware.   On the day following surgery a commode was brought into my room with plastic wrap over it, but a brown stain on toilet seat.  I was told it was just a stain, but asked the nurse to humor me and wipe it with a wipe and sure enough it came off.  I believe I got the infection in the hospital.  I went in without an infection and came out with an infection.   I was at a world renowned hospital and yet I saw more rooms with "precautions" with each subsequent surgery.   Once we have an infection like this, it is very hard to get rid of it.  The reason a person pre-treats prior to dental work following a joint replacement is that bacteria floating around in our bloodstream can affix itself to the metal of the joint replacement and start to grow.  The metal isn't like normal tissue.     Hospitals need to find a way to rid their ORs and patient rooms of this so it is not passed on to patients.  The staff should also be tested since many people carry this and hospital staff could be passing it on to patients.  I was swabbed to test for MRSA the week before the first surgery.  I would like to know that the nurses and doctors are also tested, but I do not think that they are tested.  I hope your husband is recovering and would like to hear how he is doing.  I still have hip pain and my low back got much worse during this process, but I fear ever having surgery again.  One of the worst things about this process for me was the lack of information.  Please let me know who your husband is doing.

• Posted

I had both hips replaced this year 2017. The right one, no problems. The left hip would not heal right, bleeding, draining. The surgeon had to open it back up and clean it out within 30 day of the original surgery. 2 months later I have fluid in there to be removed. Probably an infection after they culture it. What fun can I look forward to? Will I be in bed for months if they pull it out? I'm scared and worried for my partner or caretaker. Any advice?

• Posted

Oshkoshbob,    I had the "clean out" and the ball and socket replaced, PICC inserted and daily IVs  (six weeks) as well as rifampin.  A few weeks after the PICC removed, the infection was back and my fever spiked.  I then had the entire device removed and an antibiotic infused spacer inserted.    Some people can get around well on the spacer, but maybe because it was my third surgery in a short time, I had fairly intense pain and ended up in a wheelchair after the 3rd surgery.   I had the PICC line back and antibiotics for 8 weeks.  One portion of the incision wasn't healing and a wound vac was used for several months.  It was almost six months before the spacer removed and the new joint put in.    Some people can get around much better with the spacer than I could.   I wish I would have had the spacer put instead of just the wash out and ball replacement.    Given my age (53) and good health, the doctor decided on the less aggressive approach, but didn't discuss it with me.  We didn't have confirmation that it was MRSA until a day or so after the second surgery.   I went home after each surgery and had visiting nurse and PT in my home.  My husband did not contract MRSA (his primary even did a nasal swab to make sure).   I feared contracting Cdif or the like if sent to rehab.  I wanted out of the hospital setting asap and am glad I was home and had wonderful home nurses.    I was home on my own during the day (with visiting nurse for an hour or so) and did some work from home.  The 4th surgery was successful but I begged for a private room and took a lot of precautions.  It was a very frustrating experience and there was very little info out there.  Please share your progress with me.  I would be happy to reply to any questions.   Have grabber, dressing stick, raised toilet,  etc.. all handy for your return home.  You will get through this!!  I was blessed with a caring husband and wonderful visiting nurses.  It was the nurse who identified the need for better pain management, the wound vac and  recognized that I had developed a  blood clot after the 3rd surgery.  I was also allergic to Vanco the "go to drug" for MRSA but responded to an alternative IV antibiotic.  I feel fortunate to be here.

• Posted

linnett1906   I just found this site and wondered how you are now.  I had a THR in Nov of 2013 and even had pre-screen for MRSA and was clear.  Less than 2 weeks later I was back in hospital with high fever, pain, discharge from incision site etc...  There was no discussion of options- Dr. replaced ball and socket and washed out area, allergic to Vanco so was put on Adptomycin through PICC line for 6-8 weeks.  A few weeks after PICC out fever back and the hip was removed with antibiotic infused spacer. (I do wish I would have had the spacer in the first instance since the replacement of the ball and socket was not successful)   PICC line back in and antibiotics for 8 weeks.  Wound wouldn't heal so wound vac installed for several months to assist healing.  Blood clots developed.  The wound finally healed about six months following the 3rd surgery and I got a new hip in June of 2014.      No more fever, but I do have pain in the groin area and hip aches if I stand for long.   I was in a wheelchair while in the spacer stage and issues with low back were exacerbated.  I can't bear the though of more surgery so am muddling through.    I hope all turned out for you.    Please advise if the replacement went well.    One of the most difficult things going through this was that there was very little information on this whole process.  Would appreciate hearing how things went for you and hope you are well.

• Posted

My husband is waiting on 2nd hip culture results and we're waiting to hear whats wrong again in his hip. The radiologist did a needle aspiration Friday and praying he doesnt have another staph infection. Im glad I found this group. You all understand the angst.

• Posted

You know that you can have bad teeth which you don't even realize but an open cavity carries a stph infection and that can travel to your legbones.

In France I had to go to the dentist and have the dentist sign off that I didn't have any open cavities. Well I did have two bad teeth so the dentist pulled them. Otherwise I would have had to delay my hip replacement.Honestly in France you cannot h

get a THR without getting your demist to sign off. If you suspect this at all go see your dentist. It is the exact same infection in your teeth, a staph infection. You know how you can get an abscess  tooth? yup staph infection, that is what that abscess is. I had just a very low grade abscess in 2 teeth, it barely even hurt.

• Posted

My husband had a sinus infection and I think thats where the infection came from. This is his 2nd infection but we're waiting on the culture thats due in tomo to confirm. 

• Posted

oh how unlucky. When did he get the sinus infection, after the hip replacement surgery? In France they add antibiotics into the cement. I asked the doctor about taking antibiotics after the surgery, he siad no because they load up the cement with antibiotics so there is nothing else that is needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.