anyone had ablation & it improved pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am 1.5 years into peri & have had progressive prolonged & irregular bleeding for last 2.5yrs.  most recently the chronic pelvic pain is virtually constant even when i am just spotting/not bleeding/bleeding. i even lost 2 days off work last week as the amount of pain relief i had to take just to take the edge off pain rendered me unable to drive/work & i ended up in bed curled up with a wheat heat pad over my pelvis.

i had a failed ablation attempt(novasure) in may, & am now waiting for another op date to attempt again & if novasure fails they are going to do a transervical resection ablation procedure.

i just wanted to know if anyone that has chronic pelvice pain even when just lightly spotting or no bleeding has had an endometrial ablation procedure & found it improved their pain as well as calmed down the irregular prolonged bleeding.  i am finding the pain increasingly hard to cope with with a "workable" amount of pain relief & this is the number one thing i need to overcome now.

thanks for any info/comments in advance ladies.

xxx

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I dont know if I can help answer your question completely yet, but I wanted to comment as I have just had a Novasure ablation. 

I started bleeding in November 2015 and didnt stop, the bleeding gradually getting heavier and heavier until I couldnt leave the house. I had had a hysteroscopy in July 15 and a polyp was removed. I had another one eventually in Sept 16 and another polyp was removed. I had a lining throughout all this ranging from 12mm up to 17mm. 

I then started bleeding again in November 2016, and again didnt stop. I eventually decided it wasnt going to stop on its own and opted to have the ablation. I had this on Tuesday, along with a hysteroscopy, biopsy and D&C. My lining was 25mm and I was bleeding heavily at the time of the op. I had it under GA. 

I used to have a lot of pain with my periods, but this had lessened over the years. I used to get cramping for two weeks before my period just before this prolonged bleeding started, but since this began, I would only get pain just before I was about to gush with large clots. 

I can't yet say how good the ablation is as I'm only 3 days post op, but I've gone from not being able to get off the toilet to only having a light pink flow which I can manage with an average pad. I am hoping this will settle over the next couple of weeks. I had cramping after the op and was given Tramadol and then have taken paracetemol since, but the cramping is getting less and less and I have only had one bout today. 

I have developed a UTI though, which isnt uncommon. 

I hope someone else is able to answer your question more fully, but wanted to comment as I see no one else has yet and didnt want to leave you feeling alone. 

I wish you the best of luck and if you get chance, come back and say how you got on. 

xxx

• Posted

Hi Sentoholistics. Sorry for the delayed reply i have got behind with my emails as i ended up on max dose cocodomol plus morphine patches a couple of weeks ago. Thankyou so much for taking the trouble to reply to me.

I had a transcervical resection ablation last thursday the 13/7/17.. It was VERY painful afterwards & i was given morphine, iv paracetomol & codeine, but the op was a success to all good. i go back to see the consultant in 3mts for follow up. When he saw me in the morning on day of op, he looked back through my notes to 2012 when he performed a hysteroscopy on me & put in my notes that i would not be suitable for a novasure ablation at any time as the shape of my womb would not permit this(he had drawn a picture on my notes showing it to have a dip in the top - like a heart shape, & it was retroverted ) so the op i had at end of may this year where 3 attempts at the novasure failed by the original consultant i was put under, was a complete waste of time as she hadn't bothered to look back on my notes!!!

Anyway that's done now & i just have to hope the op that was just done helps me. like you, i am just having a very light pinky flow now & managing pain with just cocodomol without any morphine patch so thats a good sign & hosp signed me off work for 2wks to recover.

How are you doing now you are about 2wks on from your op?

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.