Anyone had atlas subluxation to treat brain fog, migraine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have suffered from migraines for 20 years but they changed in past 6 years and I now have persistent brain fog, dull headaches ( right side),pins and needles in right side of face, arm, leg on right hand side. I am always looking for a solution.( I have had ct scan, mri, bloods and all normal. I have also tried all classes of migraine drugs with no success- under care of migraine consultant at present but even he is low on options.I have also tried acupuncture and saw a chiropractor once who felt there was a problem and cracked my neck. I am not sure it was much help though.)

I broke my right collar bone twice when I was younger. The last time was not long before my migraines started. I have tried physio (twice)with 2 different clinics who both believed that problems were coming from my neck but after intense physio for months I decided to stop. I have been recently reading about atlas misalignment and wondered if anyone had tried treating it? Did you get x-rays? Who did you see? Did it help? Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well, I am an MD, I looked this up for you and even I had trouble reading through to the end of the article I was so intimidated by the horror of submitting to such a procedure.  There are two extremely important blood vessels that travel up to your brain right by these structures and there is very little in the way of lateral support to keep someone from twisting these bones enough to cause the blood vessels to rip.  This would cause you to have a stroke.  In fact, upper neck manipulation in young adults is the number one cause of ripping of these arteries followed by stroke in that age group. I don't think it sounds like a good idea.

Chronic pain can be very frustrating to treat and it often involves a lot of doctor and therapist shopping until you find the right one.  You seem to already be doing that, keep on trying. You don't mention visiting a neurologist or a pain clinic.  Those would be worth trying.  You also might try a visit at a large teaching institution, like a Mayo clinic or Cleveland Clinic-- some place where they like to take on difficult to treat cases.  You'd have to deal with being seen by medical students, residents and then finally the real MD , but with all those heads put together you might get a solution.

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding. Your very good to research it for me.

I have seen a number of neurologists who all advise that chronic migraine is the problem but just hard to treat. I’m just trying to think outside the box and many of the online forums I have come across have had people with persistent brain fog and migraine who believe the problem lies in the c1(atlas). I haven’t found out how they went about dealing with it. For example, was it a chiropractor? 

I appreciate your thoughts on it. It was useful to get another view!

• Posted

The most gruesome article was written be a I guess you say reformed chiropractor?  Obviously someone who had come to his senses and would never do that to someone again LOL. But he was quite graphic, with pictures, in explaining the procedure and how it could render someone quadriplegic. I was truly squirming as I read it.  I believe in thinking outside the box but that was too far for me LOL....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.