anyone had both ankles fused

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi just asking if anyone has had both ankles fused, if so how did you find walking and could you drive . I had a right ankle tibia-tall-calcaneal hind foot fusion back in march. It was brilliant lost the arthritis pain but still walking with a limp a little uncomfortable but so pleased with it.  Now it's a very high possibility that the left ankle will have to be fused. I am going to try an ankle brace along side the steroid injection my consultant said if we can manage for 6 months it would be good give me time to consider another fusion. Any comments would be grateful .for now I'm back on pain killers and only managing to work a couple of hours in the mornings

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I've not experienced what you have gone through with your one foot and I'm sorry to hear that you are going through it again with the other foot.  I had neuromas removed from both feet, a very small procedure compared to yours and I know how painful that was.  Also, although it is uncomfortable, I am still able to drive when the need is there. 

I hope you get some replies, I just wanted you to wish you all best and hope that things improve for you. x 

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying and your kind words, not sure what to do but I guess it will all work out, 
  • Posted

Hello Debbie,

I'm sorry to read what you have gone through with your one foot and now going through the same with your other one.  I had neuromas removed from both feet and although a small procedure compared to yours, was extremely painful and although uncomfortable, I can still drive when the need arises.

I hope you receive some replies, unfortunately I'm not able to offer any advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to say that I hope things improve for you soon. x

I sent you a reply earlier, but for some reason it didnt showfrown

• Posted

Ankle fusion is difficult to live with. Mr Hope had his fused and arthritis is still bothering him.

maby a bio drug fusion can help we had looked into Humira. Still waiting to see how the last surgery is still heeling.

• Posted

So sorry to here mr hope still has problems with arthritis since he has had his fusion. I guess I am lucky that I don't feel pain from the ankle that has been fusion, having said that the left ankle is in so much pain ,l live on pain killers and rest as much as I can. Am dreading having the second fusion but can't take much more of the pain. I'm sure it will work out hope Mr Hope feels the benefit soon. How long ago did he have his fusion?

• Posted

So sorry Debbie61419.  I cannot imagine what you are going through.  I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet and hurt every day,  I cannot take cortizone for my pain and do have arthitis in my feet. I with I knew what else was wrong.  I have neuromas that grew back.  I wish I would have NEVER had any surgery on my feet! Toe on one foot is swollen all the time, discolored and looks like a castrated sausage...(huge cut in line at the bottom of it.) No idea what caused any of this. Simple surgery it was not.
    • Posted

So sorry to here you have so much pain, I do know what you mean when you say your feet her every day I have that with my left foot all the time. Thankfully since my right foot was fused I don't have pain just aches. But am concerned about having another fusion to wether I could walk or drive but until then I take pain relief and only work a couple of hours a day thank you for replying hope you find some kind of relief soon x

• Posted

Debbie61419

What type of fusion did you have?  I try not to think about the burning in my feet.  I have had so many surgeries I wish I could do it again. I am now trying shoes but I also have Erythromelalgia, which causes major iddues, like peripheral neuropathy...very similar.  Closed toes shoes are not a great option for me.  I think I may have developed Complex regional pain syndrom in my left foot.  It is heriditary and my sis has it in her right hand, after breaking her wrist.  Going back to see my neurologist to ask and to make sure it does not develop after surgery on my hand. I am one hot mess!

• Posted

It's not good living on pain med's. Hope your next surgery goes as well as the first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.