Anyone had colon resection surgery without a stoma?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been hospitalised 5 times this year for diverticulitis and an abscess which is recurring.

I have an appointment tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it will result in surgery needing to be done.

Has anyone had the resection surgery without needing to have the stoma?

Please share your experiences, I am panicking.

Thank you

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello. , i had one 2 years ago since then i have a constant dull ache on my lower left side basically everyday some days worse then others wondering if you experience this as well

• Posted

Hello all,

Ex-pat🇬🇧 living in America. I had a sigmoidectomy 1 month ago. I'm on opiate pain killers daily so I too am on Miralax daily. I'll be a bit frightened to stop the Miralax entirely. Until the last few days I couldn't tolerate anything dairy or too sweet. I'm finally eating cooked vegetables👍🏻. Thank G-d! The pain in the afternoons is quite severe. I'm not sure how folk go back to work a week later. B******s. My DD came on like a fright train the end of September. I had a chronic case, not all people will. I'm happy I had the surgery, but terrified I'll have to do more. This surgery was terrifying personally for me. Psychologically I wouldn't fancy going through it again. As another poster mentioned...I also have a dull pain at times on my left side. Sometimes that scares me, as that's where my DD pain originated. One step at a time and all that.

For me the surgery risk outweighed the daily f-ing pain. It got to the point where I welcomed it. Lastly, to the original poster; there's no reason at all that you should require a bag in my opinion, that is unless I missed some factoid. You'll come out of this aces mate. Chin up👍🏻.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.