Anyone had hammer toe surgery before with screws, pins or wires before? How was your experience?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am due to have hammer toe surgery in the next few months and was wondering what the post-op surgery was like? How was pain? How long until the pain wore off? When were you able to walk even with crutches? When were you able to walk without aids?? When were you able to wear normal shoes? When were the pins/wire/ screws removed? I am also going on holiday exactly 6 weeks later, is this a good idea ?? I would love to hear your experiences !!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have hammer toe surgery I had toe surgery. I had all aspects of my feet reconstructed. I have

Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is a condition that affects how the nerves carry messages between the brain and the muscles. It can lead to weakness and loss of sensation to the arms, legs, hands and feet. It can also cause deformities in the bones as the disease progresses. Children will often have foot or hip deformities. Weakness in the muscles can be treated with bracing and physical therapy, and surgery is often warranted to correct bone deformities.

It know the surgery on my toes was rough they turned black and swollen they were in casts that needed to be cut and I didn't have a night nurse paying attention. We filed a complaint I was in a children's hospital and she ignored teen girls. I needed ice and motphine too. My feet felt like they were on fire. In the morning the cut my casts and got me ice and moved the nurse to a different wing. I am sure your experience will be better. As far as a better nurse. Staying on top of pain meds and keeping the ice on constantly will be a big deal. If you are home get an ice machine they use for patients to not always have to get up for ice. Keep your feet elevated very well. I had surgery on all my toes at once not just one. They made holes in my bone the metatarsal and cut ligaments to rerun them. To have them touch the floor for balance all my toes were sort of like hammer toes curled like that. They broke my big toes and fused them for support. Also get physical therapy the children's hospital didn't refer me cause they didn't want to provide it. A physical therapist was surprised I never had it for Amy of my foot surgery

• Posted

I think 6 weeks later I would not have wanted to go on holiday. I had the screws removed because they bothered me I was at yellow stone walking on a boardwalk and had sandals I nicked the end of my toe on a step and exposed the head of the screw. They made any stub or even rubbing feel way more painful also better without the screws in my case but since my toes are fused it still hurts to bump my toe or have it stepped on. I had all my toes operated on on both feet. I used crutches still at that point and barely got my casts off at 6 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.