Anyone had HoLEP procedure with Dr James Roberts, San Diego, CA, USA ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone had HoLEP procedure with Dr James Roberts, San Diego, CA, USA ?

How was your experience ? I followed up on a tip from this forum and called his office. It's true that he does the procedure. When asked how long he has been doing HoLEP, the nurse answer was: "Geezzz! Since he started working in this office and it has been a long time ago." I was told the procedure will be done at either Sharp or Mercy hospitals in San Diego, but he is booked well into May.

The good news is they do take my Medicare Advantage HMO, but I need to get a referral from my PCP first. No more pills ? No more catheters ? Wow! I am so excited at the prospect. Having HoLEP done in my hometown, with insurance covering it. 😀

HoLEP is by far my preferred choice. Second is bipolar TURP. Sure, it comes with some risks. Retro ejaculation risk at 75% ? I already have RE from my doxazosin. It would then be a positive since it means I would have 25% chance of no longer have RE. Incontinence risks ? I think I can handle the few months of temporary incontinence, or even the 1% of permanent. In return, I might be able to forget the pills, the catheters for a long, long time.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have an appointment next week to schedule HoLEP with Dr. Chandler Dora at the Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL. You can see a video of him doing HoLEP on the internet. Anybody know of him?

• Posted

Never heard of the doctor, but Mayo clinic is the at the top for HoLep so I am sure you will have a good outcome. What insurance do you have ? How much will it cover ? Please keep us posted.

• Posted

Thanks Hank. 2 things: You can Google Dr. Chandler Dora and watch him do the procedure (through the scope). Interesting!!! And 2, regarding charges: they say they don't accept Medicare, BUT, according to several things I've read on the web, they charge 15% over what Medicare pays. A little weird, but I'll learn all the details on Wednesday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.