Anyone had Numb fingers due to crutches?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My 4th and fifth fingers have been numb for the last 3 days and after using my crutches for a long period today the numbness has become worse. I've read the cause is due to nerve compression due to the wrist being bent and the weight put on this area when using crutches. As im not weight bearing on the right leg all my weight is on my wrists/hands.

Has anyone else had this, I'm worried it will get worse, it's so uncomfortable.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My hand goes a bit numb when i use my walking stick for a long period of time and lsast time i was on crutches that happened to.

My dad got me some foam for pipes to put on the hand peices of my crutches to help. It actually did. Maybe you could try that?

• Posted

Yes, it's where we grip the crutch handles too hard just try relaxing your hand, you could be wear gloves xx
  • Posted

Hi Vicki

Have you tried ice packs on the numb area and a few gentle hand exercises and I wonder if a wrist support would help you when you use crutches?

Im sure it will improve once you can dont have to use crutch but if you are worried why not go to see your doctor?

Hope it soon improves, let us know how you get on

Linnet x

• Posted

I ended up with bursitis in my shoulders due to them rolling fwd. After many physio sessions then finally injections its easing. I was using under arm crutches but with no weight on them it was all due to posture. My physio said that the nerves that run under the arm to the fingers were impinged causing numbness in the fingers. That has now cleared up. Can u change from crutches to a stick? Massage is gd to release the muscles as well. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated. I'm going to try and minimize how much I use the crutches over the weekend and see how it goes. As I'm not weight bearing yet on the op leg I can't use sticks yet. Hopefully when I start to weight bear the pressure will be off my hand. Just hope I've not caused any long term damage.I've still got at least another 3 months on crutches. If no better next week I'll see my GP.
  • Posted

Hi vicki

i padded my crutches out with crepe bandages then covered them with vet wrap to waterproof them. Worked wonders. No blisters no soreness. You could also try foam mountain bike bar protectors. Just cut them lean th wise if you can't get them on and duck tape them underneath and round the crutch to stop them slipping 

• Posted

Thanks Hailea, hope your feeling a bit better today.
    • Posted

Hi vicki

thanks but sadly there messing with my meds. They were fine except the burning pain from the staples. So they just started changing things and the pain is pretty bad today the nurses don't come round regular enough and I am in already worse pain than I was before they started messing. I don't know what else to do. I don't think they understand English so I put the Google app on my iPad and asked in Welsh same result rolleyes

i am am missing meals because I am sleeping all the time. Not a good start. sad

• Posted

Have you already been referred to the pain team? I know you had problems at the start, sometimes it takes a while to fine tune the meds so your not taking strong addictive drugs for too long. Hope you get it sorted.
  • Posted

I had a rthr end of June 2015 and was on crutches for 12 weeks. My left wrist became very painful but I thought it would ease once off the crutches. Unfortunately it has got worse and a lump has appeared on the inside of the wrist which sends pain down my little finger and ring finger, it then shoots up to almost my elbow. I wish now I had tried wearing a wrist support, I did pad the crutches but didn't really help. Such Irony, my hip is so much better but it has caused me a very painful wrist. Suppose I should go back to go but keep thinking it will get better on its own.
    • Posted

Thanks Christine, I'll see how it goes and let you know what my GP says next week of it doesn't settle.

• Posted

We have a pair of crutches at home, but I cannot get on with them, due to the ange of the handles.  I find with one stick, my shoulder hurts after a couple of miles of continual banging it down, must try to have a lighter touch.

Graham

• Posted

This is something that I am worried about (op date next month).  I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, I wear a wrist brace/support at night but it doesn't help.  If my fingers,hand are numb for too long it does get quite painful.  Is it normal to be non-weight bearing after the op?
    • Posted

Like everything else, it seems to vary, not sure why, some are non-weight bearing, others like me have no problem at all.

Graham

• Posted

That must be awful for you Wendy. It's not usual to be none weight bearing, quite the opposite actually! It's only because I had a socket built using a bone graft which takes time to heal. Good luck with your op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.