Anyone had numerous tendonitis / bursitis problems?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I'm new to this group and wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Two years ago I used to be extremely active. I'd exercise by cycling at least 1.5 hours 3 times a week, occasionally run and I'd walk quite a bit too.

Suddenly I started developing pain in my bottom.  MRI Showed L5 S1 Mild disc bulge.

a few  months later I had trochanteric bursitis in both hips

developed ischial bursitis on left side

developed hamstring tendonitis in both legs

developed plantar fasciitis in left leg

At this point I decided to take up swimming. Ended up with painful right shoulder that cracked and diagnosed with possible impingement in the shoulder. Did physical therapy and quit all exercise.

At this point I stopped exercising for a year to give my body a good rest. I couldn't really do much anyway other than walking, which I would do for very short distances.

Went for a walk to the shop one day and had a pain in the back of my knee. Stopped walking and a couple of months later I suddenly had pain and now have posterior tibial tendonopathy in my left leg.

Tried swimming after a long break and my shoulder pain is back.

This amount of tendon / bursitis problems surely cannot be normal? my GP has tested me for ESR (low) and some other rheumatological markers that have come back negative. 

Anyone else see their body just degrade like this? Is it just "sporting" injuries or something more?

Thanks in advance for reading my story.

- K 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh I forgot to also mention that I have pain in my writing / drawing wrist / arm since I took up drawing whilst injured. Had to stop doing that too.  Haven't had a diagnosis, but suspect it's probably tendon problems of some sort. 

• Posted

Hi Kaylee... welcome smile

I didn’t have issues to the extent you do, but this is how my Disability progressed:

I have had lumbar issues for some time... L5S1, L3L4, T11-12.

In November of 2015 I was insanely busy... my aunt was ill, work was getting crazy for the Christmas rush and of course I have my own family. One day at work I felt a sharp pain in my R Achilles’ tendon. I began to favour it. As time progressed it got worse, in January is was limping... by the end of the year, I had cut my shifts down at work by 75%, I was using a cane and pretty much just hopping and throwing myself onto my left leg for support. By this time I was approved for Achilles surgery to fix my degraded tendon. My left hip was killing me... 

I had my surgery, doc said it 2as one of the worse cases he had seen... degraded to thickness of embroidery thread so had to do a tendon transfer from my big toe to fix it. (Toe won’t bend at the tip now, great party trick... 😅wink The site rquickly became infected, so a second cleanup surgery was done a month later...had to start the helping process all over again.

Jump forward to now— I still have nerve pain in that foot.... I have a nodule on my other Achilles’ tendon (can see myself in a cast again soon)  and I have terrible trochanteric bursitis with referred pain into my knee which is get injections of corticosteroids about every three months. (They definitely help)

I continue to be in extreme pain all the time and have resorted to using opioids for the long term. I have to use a cane to walk and my trips must be of a very short duration.

My doctor has told me we must now focus on “quality of life” 😣

I have applied for CPP disability benefits and resigned my position at work... this has become my reality so I do whatever I can, the best way I can. I’m 54...feeling like 84.

Best of luck sunshine... xo

• Posted

Just out of the blue you got all those things too? Did you have any blood tests?

Sorry to hear about your issues that sounds awful.  sad

• Posted

I’m not sure of your age, but in my case it was a case of being a bit older accompanied by a very high activity level as well as being female (sadly we tend to more at risk for tendon issues). Other than a high ANA and low thyroid, blood test show I’m healthy as a horse. No heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, nothing.

Oh, I also have had fibromyalgia and psoriasis for a very long time... sad 

i would suggest you make fast friends with a physiotherapist and work on periods of rest, treatment and strengthening exercises... and I wish you the very best of luck.

Remember, if this becomes your reality, don’t let the injuries replace who you are inside... just adjust your lifestyle and realize that this is just a part of your path. smile

((Hugs))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.