Anyone had second toe fusion ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I have just been to see the consultant for my six week check up, I explained I was unhappy about my second toe, he was very kind and spent some time explaining things to me. Physio not won't work, the best thing for it would be to fuse the toe so it is straight. Not only that it looks like I broke my big toe in the fall I had the other week.. not sure exactly what was said, but the it means possibly another op on my big toe too..I am going to leave it for a few months and wait for my foot to heal before going ahead and choose exactly what to have done.. 

I just wondered if anyone has had their second toe fused and what it feels like to have it done, does it feel strange not being able to bend the toe? Has it changed the footwear you can wear? Flip flops for example.. Do your old shoes fit? Not sure how I feel about it all at the moment, I guess I was ok at first, but now I am a bit scared..😟

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

Yes i had a 2nd toe fusion  on 8th feb also had what is called a metatarsal osteotomy . after the op i was in a heal wedge shoe and could walk about  quite well  after the first 2 weeks, i had the pin removed on 18th march   and  was told need to wear the shoe for a further 3 weeks which  officially is on wed next  week but i have actually managed to get a soft leather shoe on just to see how it feels and suprisingly it feels absolutly fine, although still  looks a bit swollen. i have no pain now at all.  My toe is nice and straight now which is  nice to see,  and i am hoping to  drive my car over the weekend and go back to work next weds. so that will be  almost 9 weeks. i must admit it has been a longer recovery than i thought but really am so pleased with the outcome so far. Fortunatly we live in a bungalow so need to walk the stairs but having said that i have visited family and managed to get up the stairs very well in my  special shoe, i wouldnt attempt it without thou until told to do so.

I believe that the operation  can be done several ways and some surgeons prefer to do a fixed pin. but mine was coming through the end of my toe which sounds alarming but really its not too bad at all.  The toe does feel strange like very stiff but thats to be expected so i am told . i dont seem to be having a problem walking in a normal shoe/slipper at the moment but have  only done it for a few hrs at a time. as for the flip flops i am yet to try that and  really am hoping that i will be able to wear them as i love them for my holidays. when it does come to the time you have or if you have the fusion just make sure you get plenty of rest with foot elevated for first few weeks and gradually do more each day. i feel so sorry for  you that you have had this extra mishap . make that a learning curve next time  not to over do things. in answer to your question about the shoes to wear i would reccommend  wide fit ones and yes  the shoe i  got on was the one i wore before my op, they are flat loafer style (that i wear for work as a HCA)  it does feel a bit strange not being able to bend the  toe but  its not really affecting my walking. I am still waiting for another appointment to go back  for xrays, they are  also going to xray my other foot too as i have a lump develop on the side of it  and i had surgery on my 2nd toe  on that foot too 3 years ago  as it was dislocated. but unfortunatly that wasnt successful by all accounts as its very bent now which is  what i assume a hammer toe.  so looks like this one will have to be fused at some point but apart from it  looking ugly its not painful so will wait and see, the main issue with that is its uncomfortable when i wear  closed in shoes as the toe bends under.

I wish you good luck with your surgery whatever you decide. keep us posted.

sorry for  the indepth reply . 

Regards

Jan.

• Posted

Hi Jan, thank you sooooo much for taking to send me such a wonderful account of your experience with the toe fusion. Rather than being to long it's a brillint to description of what it has been like for you. I think my biggest worry has been not being able to get used to the toe being straight and it effecting my foot wear more than before the operation. My second toe is very long,.. In fact I have rather long toes..may first three are almost as long as my big toe. Having this setback has really worried me, I thought I had been really good but fell getting dressed after my shower.. So did not have my shoe on. The floppy toe problem was not my fault but just one of those things I guess.. I had such high hopes for this operation and was looking forward to a summer wearing all the sandals I purchased but have have never worn because my bungion seemed to appear from next to nothing to really big over night. with regards to the operation I am lucky enough to also live in a Bungalow so stairs is not an issue while recovering..

Thank You again for you reply, I wish you a continued good recovery, I will keep in touch, everyone on here has been so good, I have no friends I can talk to about all this and it's so nice to be able to speak to others that understand.. 😄 thank you everyone 💐💐💐

• Posted

Sorry meant taking the time .....
  • Posted

Hi,

I think things are improving. I can go upstairs OK. I did find coming downstairs tricky and was coming down the stairs one step at a time. I was told by my physio that this is quite common as the toes are not very flexible for a while and to go downstairs normally we need to bend the toes. I have an added complication as I have arthritus in one knee so that is an added problem. I have managed to come down a few stairs normally so hopefully I will be better in a few days. I have some toe curling exercises to do so hopefully they will help.

I would not worry about second toe fusion as I am not having any problems and I have walked over half a mile today.

Hope things improve for you and I am happy to answer any questions if I can.

Hope things work out for you and please contact me if I can help in any way.

• Posted

Hi, reading a lot of cases on here and feel yours is most similar to mine... I need a fusion on my 2nd toe and work in the OR. I kno my boss would be flexible and not have me on my feet all day everyday until I'm fully recovered but do you feel you could walk 10 days after your surgery in a comfortable shoe?
    • Posted

I'm not sure, I had to wear the hospital special shoe last time for six weeks. Also I'm not sure how many weeks to have the rod in your toe, my foot was swollen for a few months last time too but I don't think that's the same with everyone x
  • Posted

Hiya swampiesue

I too very stupidly had my second toe and third and forth fused along with a bunion correction4 years ago.It was an awful job and the surgeon kept telling me it will look better after swelling goes down .i wish I never done it. I hate not being able to bend it. The 3rd and and 4th are fuse and the tip due to hammer toe n atleast I can bend it but it looks so ugly and the shortened one and the 3rd one goes out wards.I wish I was recommended these implants that I can now see is a possibility .but I was told under the NHS at the homerton it's not cosmetic I do understand that but it don't mean you just butcher me! And not consider that it should look straight and nice too.they fused it bent with the pins so it healed bend of course.i was not offered any physio nor was I told I can remove the wire they put in my big toe and screws on top as it is now causing me arthritis.

i have been to a private dr because every time I put my feet down my big toe clicks and there is fluid build up. now and he is saying I had such a bad job done and it looks horrible he has to re do my bunions and the bent toe fusions 2nd 3rd but he will not touch the forth even tho it looks like it's goin outwards X-ray show it straight? But everything will mean shortening my big toe,2nd toe and 3rd. I was horrified and so depressed from it because it will look worse. And so different from left.

He said to me that if I get my left foot done both will look similiar and that if I had gone to him first but he is correcting someone else's work. But honestly I have no plans of ever doing left after my bad experience I was referred by nhs and I did not know I was going to have surgeons that will do such a bad job.

I had it booked next week but I just had a pre op and very rushed consultation with the surgeon who is not really interested in what I want but rather that he can't make it 100% but it will look better than it does but the bunion correction still will give me some movement but not fully even after his correction.

So is it all worth doing again? If anyone has anyone else had same experiences pls let me know I would love to hear your thoughts.

• Posted

Dear Swampies,

I had hammertoe surgery on my second toe, the one next to my big toe and years later it just went limp so my other foot doctor recommended toe fusion so it would stop dragging downward. In 2002 I got the fusion and I wish I had not. For many years after it seemed great and it looked great, but that was 15 years ago. Now, I am getting older and notice that it hurts badly at times, like arthritic pain or something and it feels stiff now. I mean really stiff, I cannot curl it at all. 

For me personally, I would not choose this surgery again on any other toe. Also, it is bending downward again anyway....like what I like to call a dead toe. It does look good though and especially in sandals, it is pretty and straight but the pain that comes and goes from the toe being limited in its mobility is not worth it.

• Posted

Debbes,

I also had a 2nd toe fusion May 2017.

My 2nd toe still hurts after I walk for over 5 minutes. Pain subsides after I sit (non-weight bear). I have a solid fusion from two screws; not from K-wires. I explained to Orthopedic surgeon that I’m satisfied cosmetically, but functionally I’m certainly not happy. So I went to a Podiatrist that is reputable ( I am a physician myself, a Radiologist. So I did my due diligence in vetting the Podiatrist). He said he never uses screws, just K-wires, so there is fibrous Union; not solid bony fusion, in order to retain some joint mobility. Did you have a solid fusion with screws like me, or did you have K-wires placed? Basically, can you still at least minimally bend the two joints of your 2nd toe? Because I was going to ask my Podiatrist if I can get a revision to partially restore motion of the two joints (PIP and DIP joints) of my second toe.

Thank you,

Vincent Dimerc MD

• Posted

Hi Vincent,

Have you been able to obtain any information about a toe fusion revision procedure? I would very much like to know if you find anything helpful.

I limped around with my painful foot for almost 5 years before having this surgery. I saw three surgeons, four podiatrists, a chiropractor, and several therapists attempting to get assistance/opinions during those past years. Along with two other procedures, I finally had the tip (distal joint) of my long second toe solidly fused 5 months ago. The other procedures went fine but I am having major problems just walking around the house now due to the fused toe - I'm pretty much housebound. I still crutch anywhere outside. It is difficult not to put pressure on this toe tip with even slow careful walking. I have to tape it down and buddy tape it to the third toe to walk at all - significantly more pain and limitations than before the fusion procedure. The middle joint of this same toe is now contracting into a hammertoe and causes the toe tip to point downward (ouch) if I don't tape it. The nail bed also gets irritated and very painful after wearing roomy closed toe athletic shoes. (These shoes have a deep wide toe box and are plenty long enough; the only shoes I have attempted to wear.) Winter is coming; I can't wear surgical shoes forever. I am obviously very discouraged.

Please let me know what you find out. I also thought I had vetted my surgeon very carefully. It is very sad when you put your foot into the hands of someone touted to be the best foot and ankle ortho in the state and get these results. The surgeon had little compassion at my last appointment and said "it will take time". One week short of five months and I still cannot wear any covered shoe or put my full weight on this foot? I am hoping there is something that can be done. I surely didn't expect the outcome to be so disastrous and am holding out hope that I will be able to walk somewhat normally again someday. I am seeing another surgeon next week to get another opinion about my circumstances. I pray he has some solutions. I am single and can barely manage to take care of myself due to this surgery. I truly appreciate your reply.

Thanks,

Sandy

• Posted

Hi Vincent,

How are you managing with the fused toe? Did you ever obtain any information regarding a revision for your solid fusion? I would truly appreciate any information you might share!

Thanks, Sandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.