Anyone had shoulder replacement surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

In October, 2018 I had surgery on my right shoulder for a full thickness rotator cuff tear, distal clavicle resection and subacromial decompression. I had six months of PT and what seemed like never ending pain. At about the 1 year point I had regained what for me is normal strength and ROM. I have carefully protected my "surgery side". Last fall I started to notice some pain and weakness in my left arm and shoulder. Immediately went to my ortho surgeon, was given a steroid injection and was started on PT which didn't help. Had an MRI which showed a full thickness rotator cuff tear and a bicept tendon tear! The surgeon says that repair is not an option (I'm 76 years old) but that replacement is actually not as difficult in terms of rehab/recovery. However, he wants to pursue non-surgical options first. So I'm doing PT at home, ice, 4% lidocaine patches, voltaren cream, the injections which he said become less effective over time, meloxicam, tylenol and severely restricted use of my left arm/shoulder. I feel like the replacement surgery is inevitable so I would like to hear of other's experiences.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your painful shoulder issues. It does seem like your on the road for shoulder surgery.

Some health ins. companies do want docs to do all the pre op type treatments first in order to cover shoulder surgery.

In my experience I have been lucky to use rest and PT for torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. There are some things I can only do for a short periods of time and that's OK. I have learned my limitations. Just carrying a gal of milk is challenging, so i have adapted techniques to avoid carrying heavy items etc. leverage works well and mindfullness-planning ahead in order to do something without hurting my shoulders.

I have bad joints period. A lifetime of abusing them has caught up with me and three hip joint replacement surgeries, hand surgeries...So i try and watch my weight , eat non-inflamatory foods-sugar is a big one and take daily vitamins, Vit-D, fish oil. There is always something new to adjust to and always finding ways to work around them. Some times I just have to let things go or find a helper , It's not worth the pain, hassle or suffering. Took me a long time to learn that lesson and I stand by it .

some injuries are beyond self care, rest, repair and surgery is definitely a better way to go. That is something the patient has to come to terms with on their own.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Sending healing vibes your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.