anyone had side effects with spiriva

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have used spiriva on two occasions, staying on it for a few months.

I developed a rash, palpatations, and my eye sight started to worsen.

Has anyone experienced these side effects.  I stopped taking it three

days ago and found itching has stopped, no more palpatations and

my eyes feel so much better.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cazzer

I had problems with Spiriva and had to go off it tho for me the biggest problems were muscular and especially in my vocal cords. I probably f t palpitations, too, as yard get them from many inhalers.

Get your doc to give you something else. There are tons of other inhalers.

• Posted

Hello Cazzer

Spiriva has side effects as do all other medications, some of which can be serious.

The rash and palpitations are a reaction and sometimes do go away, however palpitations that are ongoing would be unpleasant and serious also

Most concerning is your eye sight.

Spiriva can cause blurring of your vision, but also, if you get any of the capsule powder in your eye it can also cause halos, pain,  dilatation of the pupil and increased eye pressure which is found in a narrow angle glaucoma ( I am not saying you have this but it is a posssible complication especially if you already have glaucoma and may not know)

My advice would be for you not to use it again until you have seen your physician.

There are alternatives to Spriva.

Please see your doctor.

Lill

• Posted

Great you realised it was the medicine causing the problems, just check back with your doctor for another inhaler option that may be more suitable to you.

I don't have any trouble with spiriva but it doesn't suit to everyone

• Posted

Hi Cazzer,

I had the same symptoms when I was using Corticosteroids. Hives, vision loss etc. All went away when I stopped taking the medicine.

• Posted

Thanx for your reply, i'm glad its not just me.  When I read all the

side effects I think i ticked 6 boxes.  I feel so much better without the inhaler, cant believe my breathing is better too. I have had three bad colds since December which have resulted in a chest infection, apparently on the medication you are more likely to catch a cold.

It can also affect your memory,concentration etc and your heart.

I shall see how i progress then see my gp.  Hopefully, I wont need the anti-biotics and oral steriods, that I have had to take over the past

few months, I am sure spiriva has contributed to all the symptoms.

cazzer xx

• Posted

I've been on Spiriva and Seratide for a nuimber of years, and do experience palpatations. At the beginning of the year I learned that Magnesium is beneficial if you suffer from palps. I started taking a daily magnesium tablet In January (only 100mg daily though the instructions said 3 tablets could be taken daily). I've really noticed an improvement, so it might be worth a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.