Anyone had stem cell theraphy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have OA in my knee caps and looking into stem cell theraphy. Just wondering if anyone has tried this already?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yep......That was my last thing to try before a TKR.

Stemcell did NOT work for me.Its expensive & most ins co's won't pay for it.

• Posted

Hi Gina I live in the UK and went to the Czech Republic for stem cell therapy on both my knees in April. I had osteoarthritis in both knees with the right knee being bone on bone. I was told prior to the treatment that the right knee might not be successful but I am really pleased with the results. My knees have gradually improved day by day and I have got my life back - I can work on my allotment and play with my 5 year old grandson. I had to pay for the treatment myself as it isn't recognised by our National Health Service.

• Posted

Hi Jackie

Do you mind me asking what the cost was to have this treatment? Was it painful? And how long to recover ?

• Posted

Hi Mustangsally

​The cost was 3900 euros for both knees.  I flew to the Czech republic on a Tuesday, went to the stemcell clinic at 8.30 the following morning.  The liposuction of the fat for the stem cells took about half an hour and was a little uncomfortable but not painful.  The most painful bit was the injection of the stem cells into the knees - one in each knee - but this was all over in a second.  I left the clinic at 1pm and flew home to England the same day.  I fully rested for one week and was then told to cyle or swim three times a week which I did.  They say it takes about a month to feel the effects and then it gradually improves which is what happened to me.

• Posted

That's great. Can I ask where in your knee have u got OA? Are you pleased with the results so far? I thought you had to wear a leg brace for 6 weeks! Your recovery sounds much better 😁 Thanks for responding

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.