Anyone had success following a low argenine keto diet?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Looking for weight loss advice but don't want to risk a shingles outbreak. It seems all keto diets have several nut based recipes etc. Any one had success with a particular diet and not get shingles at the same time? I am over 40 and have had approx. 30 outbreaks-so far it has been 3 months since my last one. Fingers crossed!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Nancy,

I can’t soeak for the keto diet, but I eliminated nuts about a week ago, and started taking  lysine capsules along with famciclovir. It seems to be helping! 

I’m going to continue to stay away from the nuts and massive amounts of peanut butter. 

If you come up with a good diet, please let us know!

Best,

Will

• Posted

Hi Nancy, I had a severe case of shingles in July last year. It was on right side of my face from scalp to jaw including eye,nose and lip and inside mouth. It took me 3 mths before i was able to go out as i was so weak. Im still suffering with PHN even now after all this time but feel so much better and it is manageable. I was a bit overweight at the time and gradually put on even more as i wasnt active. I also have RA. Im almost 64 now. This April i decided to try and take more control of my health and get as fit as i could and hopefully lose weight. I had been so anxious i would get another bout of shingles especially after reading on here how many others had. So far i havent...and i hope i never do. For me personally, after years of going on every silly diet imaginable, i knew i had to find a "diet" that was a sensible way of eating that could be sustained for the rest of my life. Because with everything else it may work..and often does..for a limited period of time and then when you go back to old eating habits the weight just goes back on. So thats what ive done..not gone on a faddy diet, not cut out any particular food group, stopped eating in between meals and i walk for approx 40mins every day and try and do a few very simple exercises every day too. Ive got a bad back so cant manage sit ups /crunches but i feel so much better and although weight loss has been very slow at approx 1lb a week i have lost nearly 1st 7lbs since i started. This is the longest ive gone without giving up and im still feeling very determined and positive that ive found the right way for me to continue on. Nothing to do with shingles but ive cut caffeine out completely. I definitely need to drink more water which im trying to do. Im just so grateful to be feeling so much better so makes sense to me to stick with it. Good luck with finding a way that works for you...and recovering from shingles.

• Posted

Nancy,

As you have recurrent Shingles, I would not risk more severe episodes or more frequent episodes on an unsustainable diet that will jeopardize your health. The keto diet is unsustainable long term as scientific studies have shown.

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Nancy, I just got shingles for the first and I have to admit it's the worse I have ever felt in my life. It started roughly three weeks ago. I am 72 years , never had a weight problem, was Very fit up to this. Reading other people's stories is teaching me a lot about shingles , I have always had seeds and nuts as part of my daily intake plus peanut butter, so I better stop them. I mentioned nuts to my doctor, but was told not to be concerned about them. I am due to go on holidays on Monday, doctors said it's not contagious in my case, but I am not exactly looking forward to it, I am just hoping this is a once off bout of shingles as its energy draining, I would like to hear other people's opinions on nuts and if it's okay to go back on them when I get over this, hope things get better for you , Joseph.

• Posted

Dear Joseph,

Although your physician told you not to worry about nuts and legumes, it can make a huge difference if you get recurrent shingles. I stopped eating nuts, and didn't have an episode for eight months. Unfortunately, other medical factors have triggered shingles more recently. Others on this forum are strict regarding no chocolate, nuts, and legumes, and have successfully ceased getting recurrent Shingles.

I hope you feel better soon.

Warmest Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry, I will take that advice and as of now will not touch them, do you reckon I must stay off them forever or just while I am going through it . Reading websites it seems there is so much to give up, how do you cope, I do like an odd glass of wine and I see that's out too. I came across one website that says a person might only get shingles once, I hope that's for me,thanks again, Joseph.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.