Anyone had success on citalopram?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Originally just had intrusive thoughts due being made go cold turkey from zopiclonr. Trued citalopram few months ago swapped to sertraline as was affecting my hair, then developed severe OCD symptoms probably as result swapping meds no taper due to clyeless doctor. Saw a psych tried put me on high dose duloxetine made me feel ghastly. So trying the cutalopram again and going see therapist has anyone had success on it. It's withdrawal causing it all but still triggered it as SSRI recommended figure worth trying.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

I've been on citalopram for years and it has served me well. But as you know everyone is different. Citalopram is an SSRI which is for people who need calming down. SNRI's are for listless people who need energy, at least in my understanding. I have always been the former type who needs calming down.

So it's very important to ascertain which kind of person you are in order to get the right effect from your anti-depressant.

• Edited

Definitely need calming down it's off the scale at moment. Trouble is think I have withdrawal from messing around with meds couldn't hack the SNRI at all. hoping once I get past first 2 or 3 weeks getting used meds will ease a bit all this cirona stuff making things worse.

• Posted

The doctor misdiagnosed you if he gave you an SNRI. Hopefully they got it right now and you will experience some stability once you get past the initial symptoms of changing around. Give it time.

• Edited

It was a psychiatrist charged a fortune, told me SSRI were wrong meds, gave me high dose duloxetine was awful made me spaced out dreadful only lasted few days on it. Did then see psychotherapist who was amazing but can't see her for while because of corona only doing it by skype and cant get into it. OCD awful at moment but think it's starting up anxiety. Hopefully soon ease up!!!

• Posted

You're going through a rough time but as we've said hopefully things will ease up for you and you'll feel better all around. That's what the Citalopram did for me. OCD is a symptom of anxiety which as you said may be temporary but if not the Citalopram is designed to treat it and you can add additional anxiety medication such as Buspirone which is what I take.

• Edited

it was def triggered by withdrawal as never had in my life before Just not sure about dosage. Was taking 3/4 of 10mg tablet and upped to whole tablet but OCD been off the scale been acting like manic person so think should drop back down. All this corona stuff freaking me out,

• Posted

Personally I believe a misdiagnosed SNRI can wreak havoc with one's state of mind.

With regards to the virus, it sounds like you are at the mercy of fear and anxiety. I can only tell you my attitude towards it. Number one, I use affirmations to remind myself that I am under the protection of the 'most high' and, therefore, after taking reasonable measures like masks and gloves, I can go out and about when I need to with impunity knowing that God's protection doesnt fail and that nothing can happen to me unless it's sanctioned by Him. And if He has preordained me to be one of the afflicted I need to go with that and accept it best I can. If you believe, then you know that God will never leave you no matter what you're going through.

I'm not saying you have to adopt my thoughts and ways of coping, but you definitely need to adopt some affirmations that are right for you, in order to cope with this phase in our lives, things you can tell yourself when you're feeling anxious.

Remember all things pass.

And some things you just have to let them pass through, and wait it out.

Dont be afraid. Talk to yourself instead of just automatically feeling anxious. Be your own cheerleader.

• Edited

I'm not worried about the virus to be honest fed up with all news about it. It's the overwhelming OCD that"s crippling. Only took the SRNI for 4 days so don't know if would still make difference. I did take a zopiclone last night a big mistake had awful anxiety/panic attacks today. Just despair of meds working face I swapped them couple times not doubt added to my woes. But as for the virus if I get I get not thinking about it . It is good you have your faith to help I just feel he isn't listening at the moment.

• Posted

I would not assume I know what it feels like to be you or to go through what you're going through right now. But I do know that it will be resolved at some point.

Since OCD is a symptom of anxiety, I forget if you're on medication for that but I do hear you when you say you're pretty much discouraged about all meds.

All I can do at this point is pray that this all resolves itself and you get the much needed relief you deserve.

• Posted

I'm taking citalopram but only low dise 5mg dud try 10 but very sensitive to meds and racked up symptoms. Didnt help becauses i did swap anti depressants so probably getting withdrawal from that. As mine is all due to withdrawal from meds keep questioning whether taking more meds is right thing. zBut taking nithing dudnt work and all this corona stuff making ocd awful. Only been 2 weeks so guess it takes time very up and down in severity feel lousy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.