Anyone had successful anal fistula surgery

Posted , 105 users are following.

I have read and heard many horror stories regarding anal fistula surgery. I have heard tales of incontinence, reccurence, severe scarring and infection.

Has anyone had sucessful surgery? Or natural medicine healing?

Stories would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 like, 185 replies

185 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi just to let you know my surgery has been a success so far.

Around 2012 I had a really bad peri anal abscess which resulted in a 6cmx6cm cavity after emergency surgery! Safe to say that wasn't how I wanted to spend my early twenties!

It never seemed to heel properly and forever drained yucky stuff. I queried a fistula however my dr was adamant there was nothing wrong.

Around a year later another abscess appeared I was mortified and had to get rushed in for further emergency surgery to get it drained.

Following this I had an MRI which confirmed my original query of a fistula!

A good few months later I was put in to surgery for my peri anal seton to be fitted.

In all honesty the pain was very bad to begin with and going to the toilet brought me to tears but with a lot of pain killers and rest it did get easier!

I dreaded the thought of having to go back in to surgery to have it tightened because of the pain!

Not only the pain but the embarrassment of finding a partner and explaining the bright blue plastic in the most random area!

A year later I was due to go back to surgery to have it tightened or they were going to cut the final bit of skin depending on how far the seton had cut.

If I'm honest I forgot that it was there and after a while there was no pain!

A few days before my surgery I went to the loo and it fell out. My consultant checked it over and said the seton had done its job and was happy with its success!

2 years on and I have had no issues with any abscesses etc which I'm hoping continues because the pain and agrication of it all is stressful so I really feel for you!

So fingers crossed things go well for you!!!

• Posted

Hi! 

So it's so nice to read a success story and feel like I can relate. 

I am 4 days in to recovery from my seton surgery and can honestly say I've never cried so much! I got married just 6 weeks ago and although my hubby is amazingly supportive.... I just can't believe where I am at with this! 

So glad to hear it was resolved with the seton although it took a year. My first abscess was 2014 and this is my first seton. 

Does the drainage eventually disappear or how do you know it's getting better and that the seton is doing its job? That's something that hasn't been explained to me yet. 

Thanks x 

• Posted

All, Currently scheduled for surgery on Friday. Nervous but know that the constant discomfort I have been experiencing will hopefully be coming to a close. Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the detailed posts and sharing of your experiences. Gives me something to discuss with my surgeon and am a little more realistic as to post operative expectations on pain and work etc.
    • Posted

I need some advise . My journey began like many of yours . In June  2017 I found a lump in the muscle on the left side next to my anus. It was hard and hurt when pressing on it. I should mention that I'm an equestrian and have a horse farm. I ride horses every day of my life . I was told that this was probrobly a bruise from riding from the first two Drs that I saw . By the third they did a CTscan and found a small perianal abcess . Within days I had surgery. June 23th as a matter of fact. They put a wick in and I had to remove it within 24 hours. That was awful to say the least. Now 8 weeks later and I still have drainage . A 2-4 week healing time is now at 8 weeks. I was at the Dr weekly asking why is it not healing. I was eating VERy  healthy! Lots and lots of greens, fiber, probiotics , and tons of water . He couldn't give me answers. Now I should also mention that I do my sits and have been very consistent every day with it. At least 4 times a day . And ALWAYs after a bowl movement . I have not been diagnosed with any bowl or GI disorders. I'm a health active young 33 year old that I should also mention that I'm getting married in 6 weeks! Lots of stess to be dealing with and the worriy of why this is not healing . Finally I went to a bigger and better  hospital to see a colon rectal surgan who is supposed to be the best . She took one look at my MRI and said I have a small fistula . I'm freaking out ! I mm so afraid of the surgery because of all the terrible things I have read! I'm trying to hold off until after the wedding . I'm scared of having to now deal with this for the rest of my life and just starting out my life with my new husband I'm worried that this condition will change my life forever . Any advise or reassurance I can't get would be great!! Please help!!! 

• Posted

And in top of it all I'm worried I will never be able to ride horse again. I'm really having some anxiety and depression since this diagnosis . Please help . I need some hope

• Posted

Dear Nina84 I love riding bikes every kind of it. In 2012 I was diagnosed with Fistula in anno  I was afraid of surgery so I opt ayurvedic meds for treatment infact they that time worked ( which feels like that time)  but after 4 years it came back in  same place with lots of pain and first Doc thought it was perennial abscess but after seeing my history he reffered to a renowned ano rectal surgeon he just looked at it and told me it's a fistula. Fistula can only be treated by surgery. So I took the surgery and after surgery I was in pain when after effects of anesthesia wore off they gave me painkiller injection then I got relieved. I was discharge very next day and I had to hire private dresser for wound. Now after my 6th day I can say I feel less pain and I can walk and after 2 months I can ride bikes again. And by the way I poop twice a day so every time I poop I have to take sitz bath and then bath and then call my dresser. First time after surgery it was little difficult but I drink lots of water and fibrous food. I miss my days of biking and have to take leave from office. Don't be afraid do it before marriage and have someone for your care cause every passing day you gonna be better. Just think that pain will be end permanently after 2 months.

• Posted

Hello

Really sorry to hear this is happening to you especially the timing, really sorry to hear this.

The first thing to say is you are not alone. There are lots of people going through this and we all feel or have felt exactly how you feel. I think it is the feeling of having no control over what is happening to you, it is very very difficult to deal with. For many this does get better and if you eat healthily you really are helping yourself.

I have to ask what is a wick? Did they put a seton in after the they drained your abscess?

When my abscess was cut out the surgeon formed a fistula trying to cut it out and a seton was put into the fistula to keep it draining while it was trying to heal.

My drainage would last around 8 weeks but that was with a fistula, so this sound about normal but this can be different for everyone.

I know it is difficult right now but try not to think too far head with this. Try to take it day at a time.

It is possible to hold off on surgery but the best thing is to ask your surgeon about putting a seton in place even for the next month? This stops the fistula closing up on the outside too soon because if it does it is possible a new abscess can will form and you are back to square one. It keeps the fistula track open and draining and if possible helps it to heal. Did she give you this as a possible option? What type of surgery did she recommend?

As I say take care of yourself you are not alone. Please let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding to my post! I really need some encouragement because I am so upset over this whole situation. It's hard to stay with a clear mind when I have read so many horror stories. To answer your question about the wick it is a ribbon that they put into the incision after draining my abscess . It was removed within 24 hours. The purpose of it was to help with the draining. So I had it drained 8 weeks ago and I'm spending 4 or more times a day using the sits because I'm hoping that will help me get this to somehow go away. This past week I finally demanaded a MRI because they never did one and low and behold I have a small fistula where the abscess was . They did tell me I needed the seton drain put in but I begged them to hold off. First of all I'm so afraid of even the thought of it let alone my wedding is in 6 weeks and I don't want to have to deal with that. How bad is the seton? It's it painful? Is it uncomfortable? And can I still be intimate with my fiancé is one of my biggest worries . Is that possible ? Will the seton cure it? Is the seton better than them just opening it up and leaving it open? That also is an option and scares me to death! Like I said it's very small. They said it's not a bad one yet . I'm doing everything I can to try to keep it at bay until my wedding day has come and gone. It's supposed to the happiest day of my life and this has really overcome me . Thanks again for any advise you can give . I appreciate it! I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in this . <3

• Posted

Fistula's can also be healed by diet. I did this and mine closed naturally itself. Surgery just made it worse. What I did may not work for everyone but a good diet has been shown to help the condition alot.

• Posted

I hope it doesn't come back mine did after 4 years. When it seems like I m over it it came back big time. I was surprised. I never wanted surgery that's why I took alternative options that time. It's been 8th day after my surgery I m still at home not feeling comfortable going office. I also don't want this thing happens to me again that pain I suffered I wish to not to feel it again ever. If this surgery fails  in any case I don't  wish to visit operation theatre again. I just  hope I can live my life again. Of  course I m getting well day by day.My well wishes for u my frnd.

• Posted

I had my abscess and fistula in 2010- 2011. It has not come back.

I also had verrucas since I was a child. When I changed my diet these also disappeared and have never returned.

Changing my diet was the only thing that changed not one other thing changed.

I have one one crown because of a bad dentist. The rest of my teeth are my own. This crown gives me problems if I have anything with sugar in it because the sugar leaks in above the crown and causes an abscess. If this happens I know I have dropped off on my veg intake. Once I up the amount of veg the abscess disappears. Anti-biotics do not take the dental abscess away.

I hope you are well soon. Take care.

• Posted

Hi! I had an abscess in Sept 2015, I had it drained then they put a wick (packing) in the wound.. It healed too quick on the outside before the inside healed and I had to have the wound made larger so it could be packed every day until it healed. It healed by end of Oct 2015, and was ok,, then last year a tiny hole opened. I stopped eating sugar all was ok but lately the hole opened again I think it's a fistula but don't want surgery. I can feel a tiny tube underneath my scar which I think is the tunnel of the fistula. It drains only occasionly. I don't want the surgery affecting my life, should i leave it alone? I bath all the time.

I am 38 and female, it makes me feel dirty and manky, I am scared the surgery will be a botch job from what horror stories I've read. A seton sounds horrific and dirty. 

I am slim, I ride, cycle, fell walk and conquered many mountains. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. Can't understand why!!!

• Posted

Nina, there is no reason to worry. A fistula can be treated successfully and you can lead a normal life. I'm amazed and disillusioned that a medical doctor could misdiagnosis your absess. The vast majority of rectal absesses are the result of an ano-rectal fistula. Beine in the care of a competent colo-rectal surgeon will more than likely provide a positive resolution to your issue. There is a plethora of information on the internet. I recently had fistulotomy surgery and the success rate is over 90% for this procedure. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you! I wondered how my abscess developed in the first place. I have been worrying myself so much! I am scared I'll end up with a colostomy bag or sepsis or incontinence. i ended my long term relationship with my boyfriend and haven't been in one since all this happened. 

• Posted

Hi Nina 

I totally understand!!!!! 

I got married 6 weeks ago and four days ago I had a seton put in. I have never cried so much but I am really hoping that the seton will work. 

How have you been? Did you go for surgery? I'd love to hear how you are doing and just nice to know it's not only me going through this horrible ordeal! 

Hope to hear from you soon 

X

• Posted

Hi LKPE, 

Since this post I have a seton in . I have unfortunately been diagnosed with a transsphincteric fistula which is hard to cure because if he location . It's too much into the muscle . For now I have the drain and then the next step is the LiFT of the advanced Flap procedure . Both of which have very low success rates. I'm beyond stressed . I can't even believe this has happened to me . They told me I just have bad luck . I don't have Crohns or IBS , just bad luck. I've been serving to find people that have had good success with these procedures and I'm not finding much at all . It's depressing . I don't want to have a drain for the rest of my life! I want to be able to live my life, ride my horses and be normal again sad 

• Posted

Hi Nina84: I just posted my story a bit ago. My surgeon finally resorted to using a silk string in my fistula. 6 months later the string fell out in the shower and my fistula was healed. Tell your surgeon to look into a silk string. Our bodies will naturally shed the silk. Good luck.

• Posted

i hope your wedding and treatments all went well. i had a very similar experience as you except that my problem began after using a stationary bike, which i have been using for cardio exercise for years. i had a hard bowl movement after that, and felt a hard bump between pelvic joint and perianal area. Which led to a fistula. Seeing a doctor tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.