Anyone had the PAE procedure?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've had the Urolift but with disappointing results. Have been reading about PAE and it sounds promising. If you've had it I would like to know your opinion. Also, can it be done after the Urolift (do the implants have to be removed)? Thanks,

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How does one go about finding the right doctor for the job. There are some artists out there. I just know there are but finding them...that's the ticket.

• Posted

Well, Vernon, it takes some researching and also looking outside one's comfort zone, i.e. do not restrict yourself to our own area. In my case I went to Poland mostly because the doc was not just an IR but a vascular surgeon, had more experience and the lower cost was the cherry on top. Actually I could have had it almost for free with the health system but with those procedures an experienced doc is always preferable.

My urologist here, who had just got his Rezum equipment, called me but I kindly declined. Maybe later, when/if I need it and he has a good number of procedures under his belt.

• Posted

Tom,

You probably didn't get the Foley, rather a disposable catheter, as you describe: it "came out" Foley doesn't come out by itself, the nurse should deflate it. Yes, it was natural effect of your BPH. Hardly, even after PAE you can to hold 5 hrs in a row without a strong urge. You bladder shrank and became more sensitive due to BPH. Probably with wrist insertion of the catheter you will be off the table faster, but your height was prohibitive. I'm glad you are feeling much better now.

PAE always works, if prostate is sizable, IR operator well trained and follows a roadmap

created in advance from the prostate arteries angiogram and relatively low level of congestion, which allow access to both sides of the prostate blood supply. The IR shouldn't be be specifically an "artist" like some surgeons are, but well trained and desirably with at least 10 years of IR experience.

A lot of skepticism about PAE expressed on this forum by proponents of TURP and CIC is based on poor understanding of the procedure and man's anatomy. There a few preconditions for a successful PAE and it could be less durable than other invasive procedures, definitely less than prostatectomy. I never met a person with prostatectomy who would claim no long term side effects from it, albeit in general there many successes, even 40 years go. My father in-law had one in 1976, which preserved his potency and all other functions , He died at age 89 from different natural causes.

• Posted

Gene,

No to belabor the point, but I did have a Foley inserted and had Foleys before so know exactly what was done. Lying in that bed with my bladder filling up and my back in spasm and bored was not anything I would want to do again. Had a bipolar TURP this past April, so it's unlikely I will have a second PAE. The first one only lasted for about a year then I was back to where I was before the operation.

Tom

• Posted

And Gene is correct, I meant that Dr Nutting did NOT use a catheter during my procedure. My phone's autocorrect apparently wants me cauterized.

During my preop appointment, I asked him if he was going to insert a Foley, mainly because I was worried about p*****g myself during the procedure. He said he preferred that I try to hold it or the would let me urinate into a handheld urinal. I made it through the procedure but barely. I used the handheld 4 times while laying flat on my back in recovery.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm glad Dr. Nutting no longer relies on the catheter. He probably has performed well over 100 by now. I specifically requested no catheter before my procedure. At that time he insisted.

Have you researched Aurolase by Nanospectra. They are in the process of a second study.

They insert nano sized gold plated beads into blood stream. The beads are so small they accumulate in cancer cells. They insert a lighted rod that activates and heats the beads.

The first clinical trial was successful. Really looks promising. Briiliant Doctors.

• Posted

Carlis, thank you for the info on Aurolase, I did not know about that treatment. I am going to keep an eye on the next next trial period... I wonder if having a previous PAE would be a trial exclusion risk, given that it seems like the nanoshells rely on vascularity for placement into the cancer cells and PAE has reduced blood flow to the prostate. The last trial didn't list PAE as an exclusion...

I've been researching TULSA-Pro, but based on a conversation with Dr Pavlovich at John's Hopkins, he said treatment would likely be cash payment only at around 30K dollars for at least 5 years and maybe longer. Unfortunately, my prostate size and PAE had excluded me as a candidate for the next TULSA-Pro trial.

Dr Nutting had gone over 200 PAEs when I had it done in PAE. He's got a bit of a monopoly on the procedure as far as Colorado and surrounding states go. I'm still glad I had it done.

• Posted

BlackForestTerp,

It's unbelievable how long it takes and how costly new procedures are in the US.

This is reply from the company.

As to Houston, we will once again have UTHealth Science Center in the Texas Medical Center as a study site for the follow study with the investigator being Steven Canfield. The nature of the study protocol requires multiple treatment visits which must be considered for someone interested in out of town participation.

• Posted

Read the thread with great interest. This is a voice from Europe.

I've had my PAE in Poland 10 days ago. First, the procedure was quite straightforward albeit not completely successful in my case. For some reason, possibly due to the sedatives, my legs were occasionally trembling. I was not scared or nervous. They increased the sedatives and, I was told afterwards, that the trembling increased. As a result they only embolized one side, due to the max time under xrays. The doc said it might work just as well, we just need to wait and see.

At ten days I'm experiencing some hematuria and hematospermia that's why I was researching the matter and came across this site.

It seems like a common side effect. Has anyone had it? Dit it resolve by itself or do I Need to do something?

I noticed that some people are mentioning very high costs for PAE. Well, in my country it would have cost me around 17K$ privately or much less or almost free with the state system. Problem is that PAE is, excuse my simplicity, like a plumbing job: you do need an experienced plumber.

The IR here has done just a few procedures while the one in Poland has being doing it since 2015. I thought that I preferred the more experienced plumber...

I spent about 4K $ for the procedure, including one night stay in this private clinic plus obviously a reasonable cost for traveling and a few night stay in a very comfortable 4 star nearby hotel.

The same day a fellow patient was a gentleman who had traveled all the way from Hong Kong! For both the cost and the expertise. The doctor was not an IR but a vascular surgeon assisted by an anesthesiologist and a radiologist.

I was also assisted by a very capable and helpful couple of young assistants who are in charge of foreign patients, speak excellent English and provided all kind of assistance, including keeping company to my wife during the one day I was in the clinic.

A wonderful experience, all in all, I just hope that I do get some results and that someone reassures me that this hematuria is not a problem. I did send an email but this being the weekend I do not expect a reply until Monday

• Posted

Pete, Hematuria is a common side effect of PAE, but I did not experience it with my PAE. I was told by my doctor, however, it might happen and it would resolve itself. Frankly, it is a common possibility with most prostate procedures. Nevertheless, you should consult your doctor as I am not a doctor. Have a good weekend and good luck with your results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.