Anyone have a dermoid cyst on ovary?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies I was diagnosed with a dermoid cyst on my ovary about 7 years ago (now 47). It was 2cm and been slowly growing to now around 4cm. It doesn't bother me and I've had multiple ultrasounds, MRIs where it looks benign but some doctors tell me because it's growing that I need to remove it before it gets too large. However there is a risk of losing my ovary during surgery which is a big deal to me whether or not I can have kids. Esp since many doctors act like losing an ovary is no big deal and female organs are disposable if you don't have kids. On the other hand, a few doctors have said sometimes dermoids actually shrink after menopause or that I should just leave it be because ovarian surgery has many complication risks. But then I don't know when/if it will stop growing? I don't know why I'm so defective. Dermoid, fibroid, gallstones, fat, hair shedding, despite eating healthy all my life. No one else in my family has had these issues except gallstones. I recently even lost a molar!! No tooth decay just somehow old crown cracked at root or worn down despite nightguard. I feel super defective. All the dentists were like "you're too young to lose a tooth". Anyway I really don't want to risk losing an ovary and with my fibroid any surgery becomes complex because they want to do both at once. My fibroid is 11.5 cm and not sure it will shrink enough at menopause. Though it recently shrunk from 12.9 to 11.5 cm due to peri hormones dropping. But still having periods. And that was comparing an ultrasound to MRI and ultrasounds I know aren't very accurate. So question ... has anyone had a dermoid cyst that stopped growing or shrank after menopause and they didn't need surgery? Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I can't help with the shrinking and menopause side, however....

I had 3 dermoids on my left ovary and one on my right which measured 7cm by 7 or 8cm. My surgeon was amazing and she managed to save my right ovary. My left was completely dead due to the dermoids. I'd want them removed as they can turn malignant (although it is rare).... but due to family history it was the best option for me. Ensure you tell your surgeon how important it is for you to keep your ovaries. If they aren't accommodating find another surgeon xx

• Posted

Gilly was your surgeon by chance in CA? Since I have just the on smaller dermoid I should think they could save it. I had one doctor say she thought she could but that because she wanted to take the fibroid out it would make it complicated. But if it was just the dermoid she could do it laproscopically.

• Posted

No, I am in the UK sorry. But always get a second opinion if you aren't happy. Good luck x

• Posted

i had both my ovaries removed in 2018 because I had a 4 cm cyst that started to grow after 7 years of monitoring. I am post

menapausal however.MY GYNO said that now that its growing it should be removed. i think if you need it removed you should definitly keep one ovary if your not in menapause and feeling the way you do. you definitly need your ovaries, at least one until age 65. My surgery wasn't bad but you have to give yourself 2 months to feel yourself again. ALSO I DID HAVE A LARGE FIBROID THAT SHRUNK AFTER MENAPAUSE. WE NEVER HAD TO TOUCH THAT.Good luck with everything...

• Posted

Hi Jerseygal. Can you tell me how large your fibroid was and how small it got after menopause? I've been told since mine is 11.5 and was growing and they never know when you'll get to menopause, that even after menopause it might not shrink enough and then might prevent me from taking HRT because it would make it grow again. And again since menopause might still be a few years away they won't know how large it would get. It causes, back pain, cramping, heavy bleeding/anemia and I look pregnant lol .Tho some of that I'm sure is stupid peri hormone belly. Thanks!

• Posted

Not positive but i think it was the size of a grape fruit. It was a long time ago . If you decide to get an ovary out maybe its not a bad idea to do both? Definitely get another opinion. I also got mt cyst removed because I was having symptoms and it was growing. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

• Posted

How small did the fibroid get? Grapefruit to what ... cherry? Lol Thanks! I will never not want my ovary, so ideally nothing is coming out except dermoid and maybe fibroid.

• Posted

I had a dermoid cyst removed 3 years ago when i was 51. I was peri menopausal at the time. I've no idea of the size of it but they said it had been growing for some time and had twisted around my ovary.

I had been experiencing low back pain on and off for a couple of years but due to recurring kidney stones, infections, getting older and missing periods as i was peri i brushed it off.

The 'mass' was found on a kidney scan and i was told it was nothing to worry about but it would be checked further due to my age.

Fast forward 5 months and my Urologist chased it up as i had been missed.

After a hysteroscopy i was advised to have both ovaries removed as apparently 'i didn't need them' as well as the 'mass' was now suspicious and needed to be removed for biopsy.

I did my own research as i was unable to see my Consultant again or get a second opinion as it would delay my surgery.

All info pointed to retaining your ovaries if possible or at least one of them if it is healthy as we need our hormones for good health as we age and not just to reproduce.

I was even told to allow them to take both of them even if one was healthy just in case another cyst occured and it would save me from having another operation. I wasn't even told how high my risk was or given any info at all and i could inform him of my decision on the morning of the operation.

I decided to opt for just the removal of the problematic ovary if all was well with the other one. He did manage to reassure me that he would know whilst doing the operation if the other one also had to be removed.

I did learn later that these cysts can stop growing during peri or full menopause due to the reduction of oestrogen.

I wasn't given the option of wait and see for some reason and felt my Consultant was quite gung ho about removing body parts.

Thankfully the mass which turned out to be a dermoid cyst was was benign and i managed to keep an ovary but unfortunately due to the trauma of surgery it has failed.

I currently take hrt and although it helps with some of my symptoms such as the hot flushes and mood swings it hasn't helped with the fatigue and brain fog.

Sorry i've rambled on and i probably havn't really helped but wish you all the best and if you use f/b theres an excellent page called The Surmeno Connection who support ladies in surgical menopause or are possibly like yourself having to make a decision which could put them in surgical menopause.

As a side note i'm sure some of the ladies on that page have experienced similar to you and may have some relevant answers for you.

• Posted

Dawn thank you!! I didn't even know that removing one ovary could cause the other to shut down. I know what you mean about doctors being gung ho about removing female organs. Even female doctors!!! I once saw a female OBGYN that said she was planning to just have a hysterectomy at 50 to avoid health issues, not because she had any issues. WTF?? Can you tell me where you found the info that said this "I did learn later that these cysts can stop growing during peri or full menopause due to the reduction of oestrogen."? You can private message me if you need to. A doctor in Seattle did say that to me too (I'm in CA now). She had said she'd seen them shrivel up after menopause. So far I think fingers crossed mine is just perched on top of the ovary. Thanks so much and sorry for what you went through. I'm going to fight to keep both ovaries whether that means leaving the dermoid or a better doc/surgeon. It doesn't help that I also have a stupid giant fibroid. Ugh. We need better doctors and better female hormone research.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.