Anyone have any challenges with the Rezum Recovery?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am Day 18 after the procedure Aug 1. Initially, I was out of the Foley on Day 4. I have been having problems voiding lots of urine, like 3000-4000 cc in some 24 hour periods. Plus my bladder only holds up to 150cc. The result is I am unable to sleep at night because I am getting up so often to void. (I am retaining very little urine after I fully void).

The doc just put me on the Foley again, for two weeks. Theoretically, it should allow me to sleep at night. He is also having me "clamp" my Cath several times a day, for me to build up bladder capacity. Then to try to understand why I am voiding so much fluid, I am tracking all my intake/outflow activity.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Other than "everyone heals differently", are there any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Wow ! 4,000 cc per day is a lot , normal is 1,200-1,500 .

How much urine are you voiding at one time ?

For me it’s betwee 3-400 per pee.

I still retain but not a lot , like 100-150 cc

You’ll go more if resting than if you’re working, when I’m at work for 8 hrs I only go maybe twice but at home 4-6 times from 5pm-6am, something about lying down that makes you go more .

Good luck Matt I wish I had more answers for you.

BTW I’m 7 weeks post op from TURP.

• Posted

Ken, thanks for your response. Yes, 4000 is a lot. Good to know laying around generates more.
  • Posted

How do you know that your bladder can only hold up to 150cc ? Did you have urodynamics testing done ?

Also, how do you know that you are not retaining urine after voiding ? Hank

• Posted

I have had like three or four sonograms since the procedure. I went from 44 to like 19-20 post procedure. Both are considered low numbers.

The 150cc comes from tracking my voiding. I know the bladder can be stretched through time. This number is my p50 baseline post procedure. Preprocedure the p50 was 200.

• Posted

Matt, I think you might be able to train yourself to ignore the urges when your bladder is only 150cc full. The only problem is overdoing it like I did, and end up with an overstretched bladder like I have. I now can hold up to 600cc with no effort, however with more retention.

BTW, what were the reasons for you to have Rezum ? Hank

• Posted

My reasons for having the Rezum? It is because I couldn't sleep. Eight years ago I was getting up once or twice a night to pee. My primary physician told me not to sweat it, that her husband had the same problem. Then two years ago, I was getting up some nights like three or four times, and it was killing my sleep! So I first visited a urologist then who put me on Alfuszosin. The pill didn't do much. I tried Flomax but didn't like the side effects. The Urologist said I had an overactive bladder. Then four months ago, he did a Cystscopy and determined as much that I had BPH or a small hole to pee through. He could see the muscle tension built around the bladder hole. So he explained to me that the bladder was struggling to push pee through the prostate and therefor this caused the overactive bladder. He then told me about Rezum.

• Posted

Is there any reason for you to consume so much liquid ? Reduce it, especially in the evening, will reduce number of trips to the bathroom at night. Hank
  • Posted

How old is your doctor?   More recently trained urologists are taught that sleep disturbance can be the actual cause of individuals getting up too often at night.  The mechanism is that the person wakes, or nearly so, then thinks they need to pee.  I have a friend who was having nocturia, and his new and younger urologist helped him develop a plan that is now allowing him to get through the night with usually only one trip to the toilet.
  • Posted

I think you'e better off self cathing than using a foley. Self cathing before bed might help - but that's a lot to pee - and the volume sounds like the problem more than anything else.

That said, I had  a slow recovery from Rezum and had the same problem you did - could only void a little at a time and had urgency issues. Myrbetriq helped the urgency (which went away on its own) and looking back, self cathing before bed would have been a good idea. I was better than before at about 6 weeks and still way better at 2+ years. 

• Posted

@Oldbuzzard

Thanks for your experience! It sounds like you had more of an issue with voiding, thus the "self-cathing" suggestion. As you said, my issue is more with overall volume throughout the 24 hour period AND a low capacity in the bladder (eg 150cc) necessitating the frequency. Did you have to train your bladder too, to increase capacity?

• Posted

Matt - Yes and no. My bladder capacity was under 200cc prior to Rezum and it just naturally got bigger as time went on. All of the physiological changes are complete from Rezum after 6 months, but improvements to my bladder function happened after that and things still seem to still be slowly improving over 2 years later. I didn't do anything deliberate, my capacity just slowly improved.

• Posted

@oldbuzzard....How long were you on the Myrbetriq for? I have been on it two weeks now. How did the doctor take you off of it? or, how did you know when to come off of it?

Thanks!

• Posted

Matt - I was on it for 3 or 4 weeks. It definitely helped me to pee better at first, but then it felt like it was putting my bladder to sleep, so I figured it was time to get off of it. I was right about that and asked my Uro if it was time to stop it - he said yes. I did and improved even more.

So the net was it helped a lot short term. I have a less than perfect bladder, so long term it was counter indicated. 

• Posted

Can you tell me more about what it felt like when you said "it was putting your bladder to sleep"? Did you not trust your bladder to tell you that is was full enough and was time to urinate?

I have been on Myrbetriq for two weeks at 25mg. Yesterday I went up to 50mg and was told to take that for two weeks. Also, I came off the Catheter yesterday too (after 12 days). My bladder voiding yesterday was mostly between 200-350cc. It seems like I have more capacity than before. I am not sure if that is due to the Myrbetriq or procedure (28 days).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.