Anyone have experience with pins and needles (parethesias) on citalopram?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on 10 mg for 10 weeks now and my symptoms are worse. The most annoying ones are pins and needles and stinging sensations in arms/legs, sometimes face. I am 68 years old so I'm reluctant to increase dosage and having trouble figuring out if the symptoms are FROM the medication or a symptoms of anxiety/depression?

Would love to hear other's experiences.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey there, I have been on Citalopram 10mg twice in my life. The first time for a year and the second just recently for 6 months. Both times I had parethesias on tapering the dose and then stopping. I've currently been off the meds for 10 days after cutting down to 5mg for a month and I have intermittent burning and prickling sensations in my left middle finger and right palm as well as randomly in my legs. I only had tiredeness on starting Citalopram but the point is this drug definitely causes weird sensations and irritates the nerves. I'm also getting pains in my hands and just trying very hard to reassure myself its just withdrawal and not something sinister. I wish you all the luck, by 10 weeks I would have expected the side effects to have settled so maybe talk to your doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.