Anyone have Gastroparesis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello  I am 70 years old and have IBS, Diverticulosis,plus some other health issues including Anxiety for which I am having some counselling.  

I have had a stressful 18 months or so including a house move, various medical tests for both myself and husband all of which has not helped with my longstanding anxiety.

About 2/3 months ago I went to the gp has I had pressure and pain down the breastbone and pain going through to the back.  After examining me she said everything seemed inflamed and it really was sore as she pressed down down the back and breastbone.  She put it down to anxiety and lack of exercise plus degeneration of the spine which I already knew about.  I had to return as it seemed to me that the pain was digestive related.  She gave me ranitidine (I can't take ppis).  She also arranged an appointment at the gastro clinic.  I have seen the consultant and am due to have a upper endoscopy in 3 weeks time.  He seems to think I might have a lazy stomach which on googling I believe is Gasgtroparesis.  My symptoms are awful bloating worse than usual IBS type which seems to go through to the back and belching.  Funnily enough it seems to come on after empyting bowels liking filling up with wind. I have read of a few people with IBS who have this problems but doctors have not been able to help.  It seems to come on mid/late morning and last the afternoon and gets better after evening meal.  It does not really keep me awake at night although I wake early feeling anxious which probably does not help.  I have read about Gastroparesis and the outlook seems gloomy if that's is what I've got.  I have no sickness or vomiting, no weight loss and good appetite.  Blood tests were all ok and tested negative for gluten intolerance.  Can anyone help with what I might do in the meantime to help myself.  I have finished the course of ranitidine which I don't think helped much.  Whether I will get any rebound symptoms I don't know but as I have to come off them 2 weeks for the endoscopy it is not worth getting an other prescription just for a week.  Sorry to go on but this is making life very miserable and finding it hard doing housework etc.  I don't feel like going out much but have made myself do things which has at least made me feel a  bit better.  Thanks for reading this. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have Gastroparesis and agree that you should ask for a gastric emptying exam. Another thing to ask your doctor about is Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). It is an excess of bacteria in the jejunum of the small intestine, commonly associated with Gastroparesis. It can cause bloating and gas, alternating diarrhea and constipation, and cravings. It can be diagnosed with either a breath test or aspiration during an endoscopy. The safest foods for Gastroparesis are liquids, so maybe try eating more soups, smoothies, and protein shakes. I have more information on my blog about both of these conditions: www.thisgutfeeling.org

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.