Anyone have primary Raynauds with onset after 40????????

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. New here. I have just developed Raynauds at 43. I am healthy and eat well/workout.

Last night while walking outside, all fingers, except thumbs, became white and numb....started to tingle and hurt when I went inside and started to thaw. I have been reading that onset could after 40 could mean a secondary condition involving terrible autoimmune diseases. I'm starting to freak out. Any comments are extremely appreciated!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellen,  try not to worry too much, is there gp or someone you can chat to.  I developed Raynauds at 52 and yes they get very cold easily.  I now wear gloves when I touch anything now that is cold.  Mine wrinkle bad like they’ve been in water, are yours like that?  Are you on meds for it?  I have Lichen Sclerosus developed at the same time that’s autoimmune and also arthritis so yes I think there is a link
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me, Sue!

That's what I'm worried about. It seems when onset of Raynaud's is after 40 it is secondary which means I'm going to develop a more serious condition sad

I also have been experiencing some seborrheic dermatitis which is also autoimmune. I am going to talk to my doctor.

• Posted

I am not quite sure when I got Raynauds, I think it must have been my forties. I also have Polymyalgia Rheumatica which is also an auto immune disease. It has flared up twice in the past thirty years. I am treated with prednisone when it flares up and takes almost a year to wean off of. My doctor said she would normally treat me with blood pressure meds. for the Raynauds, but since I already have low pressure she did want to use that treatment. I can handle frozen foods etc... but I am never happy with gloves in the winter. I am always cold. I do not think my Raynauds and PMR are the cause of the other. A lot of the women on my maternal side suffer from auto immune diseases, especially thyroid related.
  • Posted

yes I had first attack age 66, just last week.   This is very worrisome to read all this.  From what I learned so far, mine was likely caused by my heart meds,  a beta blocker,  according to a number of "experts"  on youtube -- doctors  and heal professionals.

I am getting off that beta blocker, of course, and hope so much that fixes it.  We will see.

If any of you have family on beta blockers  I would suggest AT VERY LEAST  talk to you doctor about the beta blockers, and maybe consider getting a different med, or off it, for at least a little while.

I had no trouble with this -- never heard of it-- until I started doing beta blocker regularly.  I'd say about six months of regular beta blocker use then this happened.  I did beta blocker (metoprolol)   for several years but was not good about taking them,  Not sure if that;s an issue or not,

• Edited

There is this research paper:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00296-012-2484-3

About 60% of people who develop Raynaud's after 40 go on to be diagnosed with an auto immune disease within 5 years. Mixed connective tissue is the most common (12%), systemic scleroderma is the second most common (8%). I'm 43 and just developed Raynaud's. i keep looking at my hands, my skin. There is a good chance that I won't get scleroderma, but given how bad that disease is ... even these numbers are too high for me not to be scared.

• Posted

Hi, is there any news about you? How are you doing?

I'm 42 and just developed Raynaud's. I'm starting to freak out, too.

• Posted

I have had this for years and it's been irrational in my case been a bit more recently. If it stresses you take time to reduce the stress by stopping and breathing calmly for a few minutes. Gloves don't seem to help me much. I hope you don't get it too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.