Anyone have problems converting t4 to t3? I would love to understand why too?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering if any of you out there have a low total t3, low free t3 and low Thyroxine-binding globulin? Or a combination of 2 of these?

All 3 are consistently low for me and I do not tolerate t3 medicines, they cause stomach bleeding for me.

I do not take biotin.

Has anyone out there been given an explanation as to what causes this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, it’s said that 80% of T4 to T3 conversion happens in the gut and a liver. So if you have gut and liver problems, you’ll have problems converting to T4 to T3. The other thing that can cause a T3 problems is mercury toxicity in your system. Mercury will cause high reverse T3 which binds up your T3 causing it to be low.

Further, in general, radiation and chemicsl toxicity will mess up thyyoid function.

There are a lot of holistic steps you can take to heal your thyroid gland. These include a gluten-free Paleo style diet, essential amino acid supplements, multivitamin and multimineral supplements, and lots of cleansing.

• Posted

I appreciate the response very much.

I want to ask you a further question. I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just trying to understand. 😃 So, if it's the gut and liver, why would one need to heal their thyroid?

• Posted

I could not tolerate t3 either, it gave me horrible stomach burning and reflux. I had to stop it. I had my gallbladder removed in December and my conversion has been very bad since then, I'm trying Armour thyroid now. But I don't feel good on that one either, my antibodies keep going up on it. 😦

• Posted

OK MasterD, you're right on!

Of course, everything is related. The thyroid gland is located in the neck area smack dab in the middle of the highest concentration of lymph gland Of course, everything is related. The thyroid gland is located in the neck area smack dab in the middle of the highest concentration of lymph glands in the whole body.

The gut, is part of the immune system. The gut is lined with mucous membrane, similar to that which is in the nose, and is there for part of the immune system.

At this point, you’re probably be getting to see how everything is circular. When the thyroid gland goes down the immune system goes down and the gut goes down. When they gut goes down, the thyroid function goes down because you’re not converting properly.

Also when the gut goes down, you tend to get malnutrition. When you have malnutrition, the body start shutting down the less necessary functions. The thyroid gland is key in regulating body metabolism and function. So, if you’re not getting enough nutrition, your thyroid gland is going to start shutting things down, lowering your metabolism, to try to preserve resources.

My feeling after years of dealing with thyroid disease is that the condition is best dealt with from nutrition, immune, and toxicity perspective.

This means reducing the load on your immune system by carefully monitoring your diet, environmental toxicities, and detoxing as well.

Along with keeping your immune system healthy, part of that is making sure your body is eliminating properly. This means that you need to make sure that your gut is working properly and you are going to the bathroom enough, that your kidneys are working well and you are peeing enough, and that your liver is working well so that your blood is clean as it circulate throughout your body. Get it? If your body is not properly eliminating your own toxic waste, your body will become toxic. When the body becomes toxic, your metabolism slows down. Metabolism is controlled by the thyroid.

For nutrition, of course, supplements are crucial. Proper nutrition will help your immune system and your gut as well as help your body properly eliminate waste.

Basically what I’m saying, is that the thyroid as a sort of a barometer for the overall health of your immune system.

• Posted

Thank you so much! That makes so much sense! I love that you took the time to explain to me how it is all connected!

I wonder if that is why thyroid conditions are so prevalent, due to poor diets and lack of proper nutrition? It seems that supplementation is so critical these days and that it is more challenging to just get what we need from food alone.

You seem like you know a lot about this! I appreciate your contribution to my quesiton!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.