Anyone have side effects with Methyldopa?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I started methyldopa a while ago as cant take ramipril (allergic) and other anti-hypertensives (react with my allergy meds)

Since starting it I feel tired, have headaches, have postural hypotension and worst of all my legs and back hurt all the time - ? myalgia?

Anyone else experience the myalgia?

Thanks biggrin

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi daisymay. I am on ramipril and have had no experience of methyldopa. However, your symptoms appear consistent with someone whose body cannot accept this particular drug. There is a lot of "trial and error" when drugs are prescribed and we are the guinea pigs!! Go back to your GP and ask to be put on another drug. Keep doing that until you find one that is compatible to you. Also try to help the situation by non drug means. By that I mean lifestyle changes. Loads of info on this site from members regarding this aspect and how it has helped them. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Fisherman!

Exactly what I was thinking but we are running out of drugs to try sad

I've checked the info on this site and very useful thanks! smile

• Posted

I was at the point of "running out of drugs to try".  The only one to date that hasn't produced nasty side effects for me is Losartan Potassium, BUT unfortunately it is failing to reduce my high BP.  I wish you better luck, Daisymay.
    • Posted

Thanks Mrs O but if its an ARB my doctor wont prescribe as I had a very bad allergic reaction to the the ramipril which is an ACE inhibitor and he said these two groups were chemically related so a no no.

And because I carry adrenaline for anaphylaxis (severe allergies) he wont prescribe Beta blockers.

I have been taking bendrofluazide 2.5mgs for a few years now with limited effect.

Sorry its not working for you Mrs O - maybe back to the doctors for you too?

Others seem to have so many horrible side effects. sad

• Posted

aldomet or methyldopa is one of the kindest hypotensive drugs and used for pregnant ladies because of so few side effects. It does calm the system and you feel tired initially but that usually passes. havnt heard of the other side effects you are experiencing and very sorry to hear you are suffering.I was on this drug for several years and it was good for me, but unfortunately then it had a a yellow colour and the dye in it turned me yellow!!!! monoxodine works like methyldopa. that may be a topic of discusion with G.P!!, good luck and keep in touch.

jennifer

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer,

I decided to persevere with it and see if the side effects lessen.

I think I can cope with it, but if not I will certainly discuss alternative meds with my G/P.

Your reassurance was very much welcomed smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.