Anyone have similar symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

6 months ago I had arthroscopy surgery to trim up lateral and medial meniscus and had my ACL removed. For the past 2-3 weeks my knee has been cracking sometimes a small crack sometimes a big crack. Sometimes painful and sometimes not. Just wondering what the cracking is?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You are the 3rd person I have communicated with in as many days with the same problem. The cracking or catching for some of us started as early as 5 wks after arthroscopy and lasted 2 yrs. and counting. It's now 6 wks. for me and it started about a week ago. Sharp, sudden pain with it. I'm off to see my surgeon tomorrow and will pass along what he has to say. Every case may be different but maybe there is some insight to be gained. 

• Posted

Not sure how this would apply since your arthroscopy was 6 mos. ago and I'm at just at 6 wks but I was told by the Dr. today that "grit" often remains in the join after debridement and causes a painful "catch". He expects it will eventually go away as joint fluid builds in again. He seemed convinced I hadn't torn something again. I received a cortisone shot and a follow-up appt. in 4 wks. He advised I avoid a lot of walking and ice periodically during the day for 20 min at a time. Let me know how your appt. goes on Tues. Hopefully it will go well for you.

• Posted

Hi

Hope you are feeling better. Ortho doctor said it’s time to do acl reconstruction.  So scheduled for February 1st then hope to be on the final road to recovery. He didn’t really answer what the cracking was but I will ask at preop appt.

• Posted

Good luck Michele with the next procedure. I wish you well. Let me know how that one goes.
  • Posted

Hello, the cracking sounds can be a bit unnerving. I asked my doc the same question and the response was could be a few things best guess would be scar tissue.
    • Posted

The recent knee ...both pre and post arthroscopy...   has been more about a sudden sharp pain and catching sensation. I did have noise and clunk associated with the other knee post total replacement that was caused by a tendon catching on the knee cap and snapping like a bow string! First I was sent to a "revisionist" and all he did was proclaim "scar tissue" and did a clean up. The noise, etc. came right back so I changed surgeons. The newest one released the tendon....which should have been done during the replacement. End of problem and it's been 7 yrs. Now I'm dealing with the other knee (right) . It's been a slow go but I'm trusting it will improve. It's still darned sore after almost 7 wks. but the sudden, sharp pain is gone for now. I knew going in that he was just buying time for me because I really didn't want another total replacement right now. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Posted

Wow sorry to hear that the complications. It's always something as we hope to have a better quality of life after surgery. Good that you have had the knee totally repaired. Hope to hear you can get better and experience less pain and better mobility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.