Anyone have symptoms come back after decompression surgery

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had decompression surgery in July '16. It felt good not to have pain afterwards. Just recently after Christmas my symptoms came back. Migraines, blurred vision, loss of balance and so on.

My neuro surgeon told me symptoms might come but didn't know that soon. I'm getting a second MRI done to see if any changes from before.

My question is has anybody has a 2nd surgery and is it worth it? I can't take heavy meds due to I'm a school bus driver.

Has anyone went on permanent disability due to Chiari?

TIA...

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My symptoms are really bad I have a bubble on my head the pain is so bad the its starts in my head all the way down my back in to my tailbone I need help

• Posted

Hi,

Well I understand your pain. My neck goes back and forth. I have head and eye pain plus pain going down my spine. I have difficulty walking. I have a phone call into my dr. I think our nerves are damaged and there is not much they can do. I'm in the bed and up and down to the bathroom. Like you I'm miserable.

• Posted

I had scan couple month ago after still suffering nausea and dizziness,some head pain, after my decompression op 2yrs ago. Operation has released pressure but consultant said nerves are probs damaged, as scan doesn't reveal any problems.

• Posted

My daughter is 15 and had decompression surgery in December 2015. Her MRI at one year was fine. In the last few months she gets dizzy walking (not one for standing up) and blurred vision. She’s never had these before. We were blessed that her only symptoms prior to surgery for her headaches. She goes for another MRI in February.  Have you had another MRI to see if there’s any change? 
    • Posted

Sorry just saw you did have asecond MRI. 
  • Posted

My first surgery was in 2010, then I had to have another one around 2013 with this one, the surgeon stated the first surgery the doctor shaved to much off so in the 2nd one they removed a rib and put it along side 2 steel Rod's attached to my neck to help me keep my head from falling forward then it's attached to my steel plate in the back of my head. I then had to have lower back surgery, because somehow when my head was hurting my lower back just kills me. Now I have had to have carpel tunnel surgery to both hands, because I couldn't feel my fingers and losing strength. I have issue as well with not feeling my toes. It's 2018, and I'm getting the pressure back and the pain at night is horrible, just ask my husband. My surgeon told me to live as much as I can because they don't know enough about this issue in the years after the surgery, now I know what he meant. I am at the point where I can't think to do my job and i am hanging on by a thread. My hope for everyone else is this, I am sorry you are going through your pain, my wish is this I wish your pain would go away along with mine.

• Posted

No, I felt great for almost 20 years and now I don’t know what is wrong (for the past five years) with me. 
  • Posted

I have had 2 surgeries in the last 5 years both of which have made me worse. I have been doing my own research on the condition and from what I have found, if your first surgery did not take then it is very possible you may have to  have several more surgeries through out the rest of your life, because if you do not the build-up of fluids can cause: blindness, paralysis, and death those are just the worse ones. Surgery is not a cure, they say it can just give you better days, but there is no guarantee. I have been let go and or turned away because of having this condition from many jobs. It is hard living with this and because of that i am filing for disability. I wish you the best of luck in what you choose to do.
  • Posted

Hi

My name is maizy,I had decompression surgery January 2009 the night before new years. I am currently 23 and I'm now starting the process of Ssi. I still have all my symptoms and I actually didn't have any before surgery only after. I am doing the injections on my head and back and shoulders with nerve block. I'm on lyrica and muscle relaxers and I Imatrex? When the migraine get real real and but they are already bad. I throw up and pass out if I do to much activity now. I have a huge problem working out and staying fit because of the sensation I get from my surgery. It's nice to me other people with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.