Anyone having pain in their leg while driving?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just trying to figure out what's wrong...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

First, have you seen a doctor? do you have back problems any scans? Im only asking because leg pain during any kind of activity can be just about anything.
    • Posted

My spouse has pain only when driving...  He's had an MRI that showed L4&5 disk problems BUT then someone mentioned sciatica too.   Last week he had a shot but says that it's not helping so Dr recommended another one.  If that doesn't help, they can try surgery.  The reason I'm asking others is because spouse has anxiety issues that can make things much worse than it seems.  Just trying to get an idea of what is going on..   Yes, I have back problems but I deal with it-- stretching, swimming and I don't go overboard with chores.  If I feel a kink in my back I stretch and take it easy.  For him, I'm sure it will be chronic pain...  Don't sure I can handle this..  And I'm wondering if he would take his aniexty meds, that would help him not to obsess over it.

• Posted

i also have l-4, l-5, and also s-1 disk problems, i have had shots, surgery, and now have a simulator unit. I have done months and months of PT water and land. so i understand the pain. It is possible to have sciatica issues on top of the disc problems, i have it also. Are you seeing a pain management doctor or a spine surgeon? sometimes they can be both. The one thing i have learned through all of this is get a second opinion on any scans done. I had one read by the radiologist and then the same one read by my surgeon, they were completely different. the surgeon found more issues than the other, but in all fairness spine surgeons only do spine so they tend to know more. For many of us, figuring out the true problems with our spines have been a long road and not all treatments work for everyone. I dont have anxiety but i can tell you between the pain and all the doctor visits will make anyone anxious. Im sure his meds will help with some of his feeling but sometimes its a long road to figure out whats really going on. the one suggestion i can give you is go through the boards here and see if some of them help you deal with this and maybe help him in the process
  • Posted

Hi Kelly,

What kind of back problem does your husband have? And what has your Dr. done for it? I have both.

• Posted

The sciatic nerve is made up of nerve roots L4 thru S1. So, having those discs your husband has will produce sciatica as those nerve roots are part of the sciatic nerve.  Secondly, in the pain clinic, the shots we do to try to get wayward discs to shrink never work with just one shot, most studies show you need a series of three in quick succession. Going in for one, deciding it didn't work and then bagging the other two is not the way to get better.  Your hubby shouldn't play doctor, no wonder he's anxious, he's not getting better, he's getting what he thinks are useless shots because he only got the 1st of 3 LOL.  Yes, take his Xanax!  You are correct too, men are far more likely to end up with surgery as the solution because they don't want to do the series of shots along with a 6 week stint of physical therapy with daily at home stretching and homework exercises from the therapists.  The course for many male patients is 3 shots, one week later at follow up they are better but not perfect, "should I get surgery, Doc?"  I say how about PT?  No, I don't have time for that.  LOL instead they ask for a surgeon and are out 6 weeks anyway for post op recovery.  Shaking head here.  Oh and then they come back to see me with failed back surgery syndrome in 2 years.  Ugh, men.

• Posted

Thank-you!!   I did laugh some because that's how hubby is-- doesn't know to take another shot, doesn't think PT helps, has called a couple Dr who have told him what they think and he's still in question..  Zoloft would help him a lot but he refuses that!! I know he's uncomfortable but he can't continue to be miserable. He is stretching it, walking, elliptical-- one day he is 'good' then the next day not too good.  OK, we paid for the first shot and I think the others would be minimal with the deductible met.  So why not?   Thanks so much for the responses and hopefully he'll figure it out eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.