Anyone having problems with itching crawling skin? Mostly on right side and back. Area's I sleep on.

Posted , 9 users are following.

It is mostly on my right side and that side of my back, neck area is red and itchy. The itching spots look like I have scratched it but I haven't. Looks like streaks. It is where it gets warm. Started taking Simvastatin in November and noticed I had an itch. Didn't think anything of it. Got worse. Went to the Dr and he put me on Prednisone, gave me a Steroid shot and put me on Atarax (anti-itch) pill. Helped to where I thought it might be almost gone. Not! Went on a second round. Same thing as before. So I have been dealing with it for almost 2 months and it's worse. It's driving me crazy! Going to Dr tomorrow and have him send me to a Dermatologist. Hopefully that will be the answer! Just wondering if anyone had the same problem of itching with Simvastatin and what you did to get rid of the itch. Thank you for any response.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too had itching annwhen my liver function was tested I was found to have a level of 500. The normal range is about 7 , I was taken straight off the statins and have an appointment to see the lipids clinic soon. I do not intend to go back on the statins if my liver returns to normal. I have heard some horror stories. Make sure you have your liver tested take care
  • Posted

Your description of your huband’s symptoms relating to itching legs parallel mine. I only have to touch the calfs of my legs to set off intense itching that often ends up with drawing blood unless I resist the urge to scratch.  The more I scratch the more intense is the urge to continue scratching!  I’m on a low level of Simvastatin (10 mg) and intend not taking the medication for a month.   The problem is that I’m also on Warfarin (dvt) and Felodipine for blood pressure and, therefore, can’t be certain whether the itching is caused by any one of these medications or from an interaction.  But I’ve got to start somewhere with omission of medication to finger the cause.  Sadly, medical advice and action is confined to tackling the symptom without investigating the aetiology.  Medical advice consists of being provided with a steroid cream, a moisturising cream and being told that I am suffering from an auto-immune disease: typical, unhelpful observation!  The creams do help over a short period but need to be re-applied constantly.  I’d rather that they examine a possible medication-linked cause.  Would be interested inthe outcome of any treatment of your husband’s condition. 
  • Posted

I also have had severe itching on my scalp (no flaking or dandruff seen) and all over my back and bra area. No rashes...just annoying itch! I am taking only 10mg of  Atorvastatin daily. At first, I thought I was allergic to my soap and shampoos, so I changed my brands. Nope, didn't help! I also took some generic Claritin,,,it does help. I'm so tired of not sleeping at night...so  I might just stop taking the statin. I'm sure the itching is a reaction to the statin. Going back to my oatmeal diet! *sigh*

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.