Anyone having same experience?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with vaginal dryness and given vagifem which I have been using for the last 5 weeks. Symptoms are not as severe as I can now sit down and bend without getting pain. My GP also said to use Replens inbetween doses of vagifem. I am finding as reported I am getting clumps of discharge and being very uncomfortable for over a day after using Replens. After using the vagifem the next day I ache and throb down below. Is this all normal and will it get better?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam,

I had a terrible reaction to Replens. I basically had what looked like clumps of tissue in my discharge. My gyn at the time said the Replens would not cause that; however, after doing several tests with the replens, i had that reaction every single time. I have since read that a number of women have had that sloughing type of reaction with that product.

• Posted

did it ever get better or is there something else I could use? feel like it will never end as it has been like this now since January

• Posted

I have been at this since April of last year. There are many products to try and many discussions on this forum with helpful information. You have to find what works best for you.

• Posted

There is a other discussion on this think its under vaginal atrophy and some of the information on there has been really helpful. I use estriol cream along with drapolene and the only comfort I can be sure of.

• Posted

I have been using Estrace (which is also estradiol under another brand name) since June. I do not use an applicator, but apply a small amount at the vag entrance per the gyn. Was told to use it nightly, but it can create soreness so I take a night off about every 5 days according to how I feel. Have never used Replens.

• Posted

ive never had a reaction to the alternative pessaries creams etc i just find the hrt ones work so much better. However i am reluctant to use these all the time. its so hard to know what to do

• Posted

Apparently some of us have bodies that continue to produce enough estrogen after menopause to keep atrophy from becoming a major problem. Others of us do not. My understanding is that by applying cream topically only a small and consistent amount of estrogen is being delivered to the area where it is most needed. Taking hormones orally is more controversial due to cases of breast cancer in women who used that method. My late sister used HRT for many years and did get breast cancer. Although it was strongly promoted by my gyn at the time of menopause to use it I was very leery of doing so and refrained. That doctor died of breast cancer.

So now it appears I may have avoided breast cancer (so far) but have developed lichen sclerosis instead. According to my new gyn it was caused by lack of estrogen.

Yes, it is confusing. My advice to anyone going thru menopause would be to use the smallest dose of estrogen necessary via creams to alleviate atrophy if it is a problem. Three years ago when my atrophy became apparent to me I was warned by a gyn that all sorts of problems could ensue including cancer, but she did not elaborate. When I questioned the cancer warning she denied having said it. I thought it best to just proceed as I was. Had I had a crystal ball I would have used the cream, but asked for an alternative to premarin which is what she prescribed. Hindsight is 20/20.

• Posted

sorry to read of your discomfort Pam. theres been a few responses to your symptoms under various other headings in here, have a look around, ive found other womens journey with VA very helpful. the general response is look at the cause, not just the symptoms. perhaps its a probiotic, increase in vit b6 and omega-7 foods/supplements, do your research and just not rely on advice of medical doctors, seek advice from holistic doctor, naturopaths, dont insert anything into your vagina but massage outside with products like probiotic natural yoghurt or coconut oil. even the oestrogen cream like ovestin/etriol is useful massaged externally. some women seek the mona lisa laser treatment thru a gyno, has been useful for some and not for others. lots of options, good luck with your research.

• Posted

Pam,

Its unfortunately not a quick fix and only gets worse without treatment, but you are treating so you're getting ahead of it. It took about a year of estrace cream for me to be almost normal. I had the same response to Replens, shedding large clumps of what I assume was dry dead tissue. I use coconut oil in between my estrace schedule which is 2x a week, 1/2 gram. But my Gynecologist told me I could use as much estrace as I needed, I could experiment. I also have no uterus so my risk factor is extremely low. Some ladies use YES lube, olive oil, tablets.. it's a long list lol. I like the coconut oil, feels silky and the smell is nice, plus I like the antibacterial aspect of it.

Hope you find something that works! Good Luck!

ps If you use coconut oil get the pressed organic, the more pure it is the better..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.