Anyone Having Success Kicking Blepharitis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Any good results we need to know about? My eye doctor said tea tree oil, no tears baby shampoo, and honey is best. He said especially the honey. 😄. Dena

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello, yes my blepharitis seems under control though it is early days of being symptom free. I was diagnosed about six weeks ago, but I think I had symptoms for at least six months before. I should mention that my case was apparently not very severe.

What seems to have worked for me  is following my ophthalmologist's advice to use a hot eye mask, plus eyelash scrubbing twice a day for a month. By the way the eyelast scrub my doctor prescribed was not baby shampoo either. It was free from parabens, perfume, alcohol and importantly SLS - which baby shampoo does have and I know irritates the skin on my hand so I would have hated to have had to use this on my eyelids. I did this for at least six weeks and have now moved to once a day. I was really strict about following his advice. My doctor said I could just do it once a week after completing the month of twice day,  but I am slowing down gradually.

I have also had a proper eyelash scrub in an opticians, after which my lashes seemed better. I am glad I did this.

Most recently I also added some manuka honey base eye drops (you can google it to find the brand).

I have also tried to be consciously kinder to my eyes - blinking more often and more completely (this helps your eyes to massage the glands that help hydrate the eyes naturally); and also taking regular breaks from the computer screen to relax my eyes. We often don't talk about this in relation to blepharitis but I think it is an important part of our tool kit.

Something or probably a mixture of all of the above has made a huge difference. Right now I am symptom free and have been for a good three weeks. I am back to wearing contacts, swimming, and have no itchy eyelids or dry eyes. Wearing eye make up is a little more challenging but I think that might be because of an allergy to the make up so I now need to work on that to find out just what I am reacting to.

I hope this will last and am aware I have been symptom free for only a short time (so farwink). I am trying to look at my blepharitis as a blessing in disguise because I really took the health of my eyes and eyelids for granted. Now I know I have to care for them a bit more. Have good eyelid hygiene and perhaps more importantly relax my eyes more in every day life.

Good luck!

• Posted

Victoria, so glad for you. Different things work for different people. The method I'm using is good, just no cure do far.😁

• Posted

Please tell me how to use the honey.  I tried smearing the Manuka on my lid-line each night.  I didn't see any help. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

Becky

• Posted

Becky, use purified water to him it just a little, then with a q-tip, apply it on the inside of your eyelid all the way around. It will sting, but it won't hurt your eyes. Keep everything sterile, don't put a dirty q-tip that you've used already in your hony, keep it sterile.

• Posted

Thanks.  Some say don't dilute, just use the pure honey.  Not sure.

Becky

• Posted

Well, I don't think would harm to use the pure honey, but it's a booger to apply. 😁

• Posted

HI Becky

I started by just using pure (but just cheap supermarket) honey on a q tip and then rubbing it across the edge of my lids. As Dena says you obviously have to make sure you keep everything very clean and do use a separate q tip per eye. It stung a lot, really a lot, but the stinging only lasted a minute. It did get a bit gooey too.

It did seem to help and my eyes seemed clearer after also. 

After about a week I bought some manuka honey eye drops (its a brand from NZ which you will be able to find by google). I think they helped - I'm still using them as the bottle has a two month shelf lief so I might as well use it all up. I read a couple of research reports on these eye drops which did show some quite significant improvements in blepharitis.

• Posted

I wash my eyes with a combination of California Baby shampoo which is more pure than regular baby shampoo and I mix it with a few drops of tea tree oil and dilute with water.  Then I use the Wet Ones.  My eyes are the best they have been in a long while.  If the honey makes it better, then YES, I'll use it.  As all of you know, we would try snake oil if we thought it would work. smilesmile

• Posted

Becky, using to many products can iritate ,and possibly harm your eyes. Some of these chemicals are too harsh for eyes. Just a point. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.