Anyone hear of Botox being used for TN?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was at a barbequie last night and one of my friends asked if Botox injections had ever been used for TN?  I never heard of such a thing, but maybe someone out there has some info about this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well, i have heard of it but only on the web, not from an actual person i know. I beleive its a kind of last resort solution because its expensive and also it doesnt last very long. This may not be correct info though, its just what i have read.
    • Posted

Thanks.  I actually never heard of it.  Think I'll do a little research.
    • Posted

According to Ronald Brisman, M.D. Botox is a nerve poison and it has been used to treat a small number of patients.  There was some facial weakness and it was effective for a short time.  It is expected that the patient would have to have botox shots every few months or so and that the risk of facial weakness and damage grew over time.  This doctor does not recommend botox treatments.
  • Posted

Interestingly, I have just returned from the neurologist with a different type of medication for facial pain, and was told if nothing worked then he would refer me for Botox for headaches. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.