Anyone hear of metal suture anchors ripping out of bone?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got an image cd of my right ankle last Monday when I had an accident at home. I looked at the images that night, but I must have been too tired to focus on them.

Over the next couple of days, I had a nagging feeling of dread, and decided to look at the images again, and did so last Thursday.

I have software to look at the images and found the option to zoom and pan in on the images to look closer at them.

I noticed the hardware in my fibula like I did last Monday night. But I looked closer at the 4 anchors. 3 looked normal, but the 4th had a bent tip, and it looked like it was protruding through the fibula and rubbing against the tibia.

I don't know for sure, but there have been times where I've moved my ankle a certain way and had a sudden jolt of pain rip through my ankle.

In November, the atfl ripped right off the bone where the anchors are.

I was told that this could have played a factor in the anchor moving.

I see my surgeon in just over a week, but I'm going to be wondering until then.

I don't know if anyone has heard of this happening, Google is useless for this topic.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That sounds very scary!  Did the doctor notice the same thing when you had the xrays taken?   If not then it might be a good idea to call in and explain to them and get their proffessional advice. 

• Posted

I saw my surgeon yesterday and he agreed hat it looked like the anchor was sitting in the joint space between the fibula and talus.

He said the only way to confirm this is with a CT scan. He wanted this done urgently before next surgery. They managed to get me in about half an hour after seeing him.

Unfortunately he had gone home by the time I was gone, so my next appointment to go over the scan results is April 5th.

If this is he case, he will deal with it during surgery.

• Posted

The waiting is the hardest part, 5 more days until I see him.

My gut instinct says I'm right about this, and surgery will include removal of this piece of hardware.

Keeping my fingers crossed that if it has to be removed, it's an easy process, but somehow I doubt it.

• Posted

CT confirmed the anchor in the joint space, rubbing against the other bone.

I'm waiting for an x-ray to be done so my surgeon can plan what he'll do surgically.

• Posted

4 more days until surgery, I'm not mentally prepared for it. I have so much to do over the next few days, it's not going to be easy to get through this time.

I'm hoping my surgeon can easily access the hardware, sounds like it might be difficult. I won't be surprised if I find I have another incision in the back of my ankle to access the hardware, or even the front.

Hoping all goes well.

• Posted

Just wanted to update the situation.

Surgery was Friday morning, I don't know if it was successful or not. I have to talk to my surgeon tomorrow.

I am admitted to the surgical floor right now, not going home today, that's fine with me since my pain is so bad right now.

My pain is so bad, the swelling too high that they had to cut most of the splint open to allow the swelling to decrease.

I'm on a pain pump and that helps a bit, but not much.

• Posted

It's almost 2 weeks after surgery, and it's been pretty rough going. I follow-up with my surgeon tomorrow, I never saw him while in hospital.

I was sent home with the cut open splint, the swelling was sky high and extremely painful.

This past Friday I woke up to the swelling decreased significantly, which was good, but now left the splint way too lose.

Saturday found me back at hospital, having jarred my ankle in the splint and was in agony.

The splint was changed by the Ortho resident I knew, he admitted that it was too loose for his liking, but also said no damage was done to the ankle.

The staples hurt, I'll be glad when they're gone, the incision looks pretty bad, extended by 3-4" from the lateral side of the ankle to the front of it, which explains the pain in the front.

The surgeon was able to get the anchor out, surgery took less time than I thought it would, only about 2 hours.

Hopefully this is my last surgery and can finally cover the scars next summer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.