Anyone heard of anxiety relating to not being able to swallow

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with high anxiety and depression,the anxiety is so bad that I'm not able to eat,not that I don't feel like eating,I'm absolutely starving,I just can't physically swallow anything that's in my mouth.its like my brain is controlling my ability to swallow naturally,I'm thinking when I eat it's not gonna go down naturally and it's gonna come back up,wich is probably part of my emetophobia.ive been on citolopram 20mg for 3 weeks and 5mg diazapam but nothing is getting better.im so desperate,I've lost a stone in a month and the depression is starting now as I'm depressed about loosing more weight as there's nothing of me anyway,has anyone heard of this symptom of anxiety

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suek,

Oh no, poor you, thats dramatic..

I have had problems swallowing but mainly keeping tge food down for a year now.. I feel sick and vomit often, lost half a stone, cant put weight back on.

You must feel so dizzy and faint!? I do.. I refuse to take antidepressants, well tried but it was too awful..

Maybe you need another week or so to rip the benefits? Sometimes it takes longer? Go back and see your GP in 2 weeks time..

Try diarolyte, I survive on those rehydration sachets.. I might try smoothies too, have never as my stomach is sensitive..

My throat feels sore too at the moment, dont want to panick so put it on anxiety.. Or cold..

• Posted

I occasionally get the stuck throat thing. I just stop eating, do something else for awhile, go back to eating just fine.

As to medication for anxiety, some people get lucky the first one tried, as I did. Others have to try a few until they find the one that really does the job for them. I truly don't know what I would do without this wonderful stuff. Each body's chemical make up is different. that is why what works for you may be terrible for me and vice verce.

If you really refuse to go that route, ask your doctor about something to take...as needed. Hugs to you Suek

• Posted

Oh, by the way...the throat/swallowing thing is very, very common with anxiety. If you scroll through other anxiety discussions you will learn a lot and find others with your experience. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Thanks cia42277 for your advice,I thought I was the only one with this swallowing anxiety,it's helpful to know that it's common and there are other people with the same symptoms,where do I find the discussions on this type of anxiety

• Posted

Scroll around the forum until you see a Discussion headline about it. However, many times this comes up dirung another discussion. I would dedicate a few hours some afternoon to just scrolling through discussions on anxiety. It will be an education on anxiety like no other.

I am going to suggest very strongly that you ask your doctor about changing meds. Yours don't seem to be doing the job. I was lucky with anxiety meds...right one first time. But with blood pressure meds it took many, many tries as I was drug resistant. It is finally straightened out.

Remember, your doctor's job if to MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.

• Posted

This is common with an anxiety disorder but just to share..This hapoened to me when i was put on norvasc once. Have no clue if that relates to you at all. It was a beta blocker. It clung to that receptor for some really weird reason. If it didnt happen before the meds its a good idea to inquire. Could even be intense gerd reflux). 
    • Posted

Hi lisalisa67 this happened before I was put on meds,I was put on citolopram 10mg for a week then went up to 20mg,I've been on 20mg for 3 weeks and 5mg diazapam,but I was told by my doctor that it will make my anxiety worse before it gets better

• Posted

For you maybe thats your goto symptom we all seem to have certain symtoms that we focus in or that act up during bad anxiety. I dont know abiut meds much but yes many say it takes some time before everything works. Hang in there.. 
    • Posted

If you feel the need to be reassured that it gets worse and then better, check with your phamacist. Drugs and what they do is their field of expertise. Knowing will ease your mind, Honey.
  • Posted

I have this problem ive posted about it awhile back it seems when I have anxiety really bad upon my chest the whole swallowing thing automatically starts and it's like I need to swallow and when I try it's like a paranoia and I can't. It's very frustrating I haven't stopped eating over it but it has acted up on me as I'm swallowing food and that's Alittle scary. I don't have any ideas on how to make it go away just wanted you to know your not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.