Anyone heard of chronic active EBV infection

Posted , 7 users are following.

It says it can be fatal! What the hell is it 😭

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey Rosanna,

Please don't panic or think about things like that, I know it's hard - but remember that 75%+ of the western world is infected with EBV at some point in their lives, and these people are still living!! So even though it can go on for such a long time for folk, it doesn't mean to say it's going ot be chronic and that you won't get better - the vast vast vast majority of people do get better and you will be one of those Rosanna - hang in there and I know the feeling worrying about these things when you don't feel any improvement, but it will come even if it takes a bit of time still it will come - hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig, I’ve got myself in a bit of panic that I have lymphoma or some kind of cancer. The tiredness isn’t just tiredness it’s not just exhaustion it’s been stuck in bed not being able to even grab  a class of water as it hurts to move. My glands are up everywhere I’m so worried!
    • Posted

Hi Rosanna,

Just keep up with the doctor about these things, honestly I had never felt to sick and tired in my life, it is worse than anything we have ever felt and so different it would lead anyone to think the worst

• Posted

Yes. My undersrsnding is that it’s when you’re body can’t get control of the virus and put it into dormancy so you have a constant chronic infection. Honestly it feels like what a lot of us are going through that are having prolonged symptoms. 
  • Posted

Hi Rosanna,

I think that this is for people that have compromised immune systems, maybe someone who has had a transplant or whose immune system is not developing antibodies to the virus. It seems to be more prevalent in Asian countries and is different from the North American version. Please try not to worry, I have been down this road and recovered, it will happen for you too. I really think there needs to be more research, they are scaring people to death with all the things they put out there.

• Posted

I totally agree Monotoo.  It's awful.  My doc just keeps saying I'm having post viral syndrome and all I can do is rest and be patient.  After 7 months I still can't do anything that gets my heart rate up.  I went to a wedding yesterday and forgot for a moment I was sick and danced for 1 minute and I suddenly got very fatigued and shaky.  So so strange.  The University of Michigan is working on a vaccine.  I try and follow them on twitter. 

• Posted

Yes! Not the glands- that’s been one symptom I haven’t had to deal with thank god- but yes my neck has aches this whole time. Along with my arms and legs. 
  • Posted

UNMMMMM..... say what??? Is that a thing? I’m scared to google it - here I’ve been worrying about meningitis and heart inflammation! I didn’t realize there could possibly be fatal version of this alone!
    • Posted

Like others here, I went through the worry when I read there could be some kind of chronic EBV thing too. It makes you panic I know - I do just want to reiterate that remember almost everyone has the EBV virus dormant in their system, and they live absolutely healthy lives again after the virus has subsided - yes sometimes those of us hit hard with mono / glandular fever can take colds or things a bit harder afterwards for a time and have mini relapses, but remember they are NOTHING like what you go through at the start and your body eventually does control and get on top of this.

It's understandable to worry about these things but remember it's not true for anyone here on the forum I believe, everyone is going to get well again and such thing are so rare and come from many complications with people's health well beyond even the horrible longevity of this virus.

So message for everyone is....you ARE going to get well and it is normal to feel this way with things going on for such a long time, but it doesn't mean there is anything more to worry about other than the frustrating nature of this virus, which is followed (eventually) by full recovery!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.