Anyone heard of iron injections? My GP hasn't but my pharmacist suggested it for my daughter who suffers with very low iron stores.

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 17 year old daughter has been suffering for the last 18 months.She sleeps all the time, hardly goes out and feels constantly rotton. The GP is reluctant to refer her for an iron infusion, but says he hasn't heard of iron injections and says the only reason her iron stores are low is because of her periods(she only has them every 3 months because they've put her on the pill) and the fact she doesn't eat red meat. Surely there are thousands of female vegetarains that have periods and don't eat red meat??? He also says she would have to be referred to a gastro doctor rather than a haemotologist who would want to put a camera into her gut to make sure she isn't losing blood internally, which isn't likely given the length of time she's been suffering. I just don't know what to do for the best. Any suggestions would ne gratefully received. She's tried iron tablets but they don't agree with her.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Iron Injections are usually given for Pernicious Anaemia. Get your daughter some Liquid iron, sold in sachets at the local health shop, if its plain Anaemia,This is very pleasant to take and works quicker , also not constipating like the tablets usually are. Hope this helps, if not... back to Doc demanding further investigation.
  • Posted

Thanks dolly4

• Posted

Yes Spatone Iron Sachets are really quite good smile
  • Posted

I felt for your teen girl, however meat is not the only source of iron, she can obtain iron from various fruits, veges and cereals, recommended to trial the iron liquid as suggested above together with multiple vit supplement particularly vit c which will assist in the liquid iron absorption good luck and hope she will come right. Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.