anyone know best form of magnesium that's easy on stomach?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies. I'm considering a magnesium supplement to help with ongoing pain in my right leg from hip to calf that only happens at night when resting. I was going to try epson salts but you can only bath in it, & I am a shower girl really. I have bowel problems with colitis, & ibs-d, so have to be careful any supplements i am going to use aren't likely to upset my delicate bowels (i have had this happen in the past) so , I know many of you have or are using magnesium & heard it helps with pain. which type is the most easily absorbed/digestible? there are magnesium glycinate, malate, or oxide, & i don't know which one would be best for me to try. Any info/experience appreciated. xxx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi looloo

I take magnesium citrate but is quite expensive. That doesn't upset my stomach. I'm wondering about taking an iron supplement for a bit to see if it gives me more get up and go. I'm also considering changing to the gel instead of the patches. Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I think i may try a spray as then there's no issue of anything upsettig my bowels further. H & B have a penny sale at the moment & there are some good reviews for some of the sprays- there's one that contains glucosamine too which is supposed to be good for pain associated with tissue,muscles, bones etc. my multivit actually has 100mg of magnesium in, so i think a topical one would be more helpful as i want it for potential pain relief. i had another corticosteroid injection in my right hip yesterday (2nd one) & its apparently common for some people to need 2 - 4 3monthly injections before they see proper relief so we'll see. it only wakes me at night, & its on my natural sleeping side, so its a bloody nuisance!! no trouble with it in day. be careful with iron supplements start off low as they can really upset your tum. Let me know how you get on with your change of hrt if you go ahead hun. xxx

• Posted

I use a magnesium spray , apparently it's well absorbed through the skin and shouldn't cause any digestive issues .

• Posted

I use  a  magnesium spray too and it doesn't affect my stomach at all. Also you can apply it to the affected area. You can get it from Holland and Barrett.

• Posted

I take the glycinate, it's supposed to be very absorbable. I also have the oxide, but it does create some tummy issues, and works like a laxative. 

• Posted

Thanks to all you lovely ladies that have replied to me about this - very helpful. i think i'm going to try a spray product as you can apply it directly to area thats painful which would be more helpful to me. i've read some good reviews on the sprays available on h & b, & they have a penny sale on too at the moment! xxx

• Posted

I have just finished watching a fascinating vid on the subject. The lady in question has stomach problems and she has used sprays but she has also developed a powder. She is a doctor.
    • Posted

I've just watched a podcast interview with the lady you mentioned. It is very interesting indeed! Thank you for the tip. I've ordered a spray and tablets to add to my daily pill intake! I'll be rattling but better than sweating. Some call them tropical episodes!

• Posted

Just wanted to make sure you got that info. You will find her on a popular video site and her name is Carolyn.
    • Posted

I love this forum but it's so annoying that if we name a product or video or anything that helps us our posts get deleted. It makes me mad we have to be describing things in such cryptic ways. But then the magnet from B wasn't deleted so why was that ok?

I guess I need to just be grateful those video ads aren't showing up anymore and making me rewrite everything from beginning.

• Posted

Yeh, when you find something that works or discover that something could be harmful you want to shout the info from the roof tops (well I do!) Then we get muzzled.

All through that film I was saying 'oh I didn't know that',or 'Ooh THAT'S interesting.'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.