Anyone know how long ppi works ? for how many hours??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Plz comment 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't know how long the effects last but when I first started taking omperazole it took 3 weeks before I felt any improvement

• Posted

well I take mine every day - twice a day when symptoms very bad so assume they last 24 hours.  Take them 30 minds before eating
  • Posted

With Omeprazole, you should start to feel better within two or three days.   However, it can take up to 4 weeks for them to work properly so you may still have some heartburn during this time.  I don’t know how long it works for. Maybe the patient leaflet will give you information on this.  I took omeprazole many years ago and it was effective.  However, I don’t remember how many hours of heartburn relief I got.
  • Posted

Hi jpp7

Google 'half life of ppi's' you may need to state a particular ppi..but the mechanism of action are all basically the same..best wishes..

• Posted

Thanks Lillian for that useful info. I had no idea how to find it either.
  • Posted

The half life for omeprazole is 1-1.2 hours.
  • Posted

What PPI are you on? I was given protonix and it did magic for me. If it doesn’t help much I would talk to your doctor about trying another one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.