Anyone know of any anti-psychotic meds that don't cause weight gain?

Posted , 22 users are following.

My aunt is the sweetest person, good heart, honest motives, one thing she was diagnosed parinoid schizophrenic, the medicine she's been on since the 90's has caused her to gain (initially at first) about 80 pounds + . On this medicine, she just keeps gaining and can't seem to loose, it wasn't enough that her mind was stolen, then dulled by the synthetic garb that numbs her up to keep her functional and sane.. but her beauty was taken too.. along with a lot of others out there, these medicines are poor in quality, wouldn't you think by now they could have came up with a counter act to the bad side effects at least? or come up with a better cocktail? I think its sad, I wish there was something better.. I've researched for her, heard somewhere that Niacin in large quanties can help schizophrenia, but not actually proven. does anyone know of anything? is there any 'new' anti-psychotic med that doesn't have such severe side effects? the awful weight gain? and dulling effect? if anyone has even heard of anything holistic, unproven, new, or anything please let me know, thank you. I hope there is something out there better

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Noticed last post was 3 yrs ago. Any new antipsychotic meds that don’t cause substantial weight gain  gained 80 lbs and don’t recognize myself. It’s bad enough to have mental instability, then to look in the mirror and you look so different, is very disturbing.  
  • Posted

Noticed last post was 3 yrs ago. Any new antipsychotic meds that don’t cause substantial weight gain  gained 80 lbs and don’t recognize myself. It’s bad enough to have mental instability, then to look in the mirror and you look so different, is very disturbing.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.