Anyone know what a mucus cast is and if its a symptom of IBS?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I saw something in my stool a few times which looks like a raggedy worm - been goggling today and it says it could be a Rope Worm but then i listened to a video which convinced me Rope Worm was a hoax. And one of the posts calling Rope Worm "a quack" was by a parasitologist who said he'd seen a few of these musuc plugs before. Another site called them mucus casts. I can't really work out why i would have it though or if it's anything to worry about. 

I also get occasional steatorrhea and i have diorrhea most of the time, go to loo regularly. Am taking VSL#3 probiotics at the moment though and feeling a lot better on them altho still bloated which is a side effect of VSL#3. Hoping i just have SIBO but worried i could be coeliac also. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Ask for a test for SIBO and celiac to allievate your worries.  Do you have any abdominal pain? Mucus in your stool is an IBS symptom.  Ask about IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.