Anyone like me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had hiatus hernia diagnosed through endoscapy. The diagnosed with Hpylori with stool sample. Got rid of that with antibiotics I think then stomach ache and pains went worse. Went back to the doctors several time until they were sick of me. They kept fobbing me off with omeprozole. I kicked off so they sent me to a consultant and was sent for endoscapy and biopsy. Been told nothing nasty and they will see me in 6 week. The stimach issues are still there told to stay on ppi at the end depressed?? What else is there to do

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Kevin I too have a hiatal hernai for 4 years now but I also Barrett's esophagus non dyplasia luckily I still get stomach was told that it could be from the hiatal hernia sliding and possibly staying up until it then drops later did they mention what kind you had ! 
  • Posted

Please read my note to Alex. I feel like I need to shout this from the rooftops! My son and uncle (no blood relation) suffered HORRIBLY with undiagnosed abdominal pain.  My uncle just had an ERCP and I am scrambling to get my son in to have it done!! It may be your answer too?
  • Posted

Hiatus hernia is very common. Most people live with it OK. However, it can restrict the normal operation of th elower oesophageal sphincter exacerbating reflux.

H-Pylori doesn't like acid and burrows into the stomach's mucosa to escape. It may also manage to reduce the acid environment making the stomach produce extra prton pumps to produce more acid. Once H-Pylori is eradicated, you may experience acid hypersectretion. PPIs like omeprazole are designed specifically to treat this.

It can take a few weeks for the stomach to correct the balance when you may be able to reduce and even, perhaps, stop the drugs. However, refluxing acid can cause permanent damage to the oesophagus (Barrett's Oesophagus) which in some cases can progress to cancer. Your omeprazole may stop this happening. If, however, the metaplastic changes of Barrett's Oesophagus occur (where the squamous oesophageal epithelial cells are replaced with columnar ones), you may need to remain on PPIs for life.

So, even if you don't like the idea, keep on the omeprazole for now and hope you have no permanent damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.