Anyone needed Anxiety meds along with Metoprolol and Methimazole?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking my Metoprolol for about two months now and Methimazole for around a month if I can remember right. Everything had been doing fine until about two weeks ago. I normally take my medicine at 12pm but at around 10 or 11 I started getting really bad anxiety for no reason. I called my Endocrinologist and she just told me that it's going to take a while for my levels to go down so basically I'll just have to suffer through it. I started taking my meds around 9 or 10 now, before I start feeling bad, it helped some, until a few days later when I had my first panic attack in 3 years. It really sucks. I tried not thinking about it, but I know that once you have one panic attack you usually start having more, which is what happened to me about a week later I had my first one. I really don't think I can handle feeling this way much longer. Anxiety runs in my dad's side of the family and he suggested I ask my Dr. if I can start on an anxiety medication, he said it has really helped him and he hasn't had a panic attack in 14 years. My question is...has anyone needed to take anxiety medicine while they're being treated for hyperactive thyroid. If so, what was your experience with it, and any recommendations to ask my Dr about? I figured that it's pretty safe to take anxiety medicine with everything else since anxiety is one of the symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism. I honestly can't stand taking medicine and hate the idea of possibly taking another medication but I just feel like I really need something to regulate it cause I'm so stressed all the time and it's taking away from family time.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety related to Graves Disease is dreadful ... I know this only too well .... I am now 3 years almost in remission ..

you can get well from this believe me .

Could your Father also perhaps have a Thyroid related disease .. as it certainly does run in families .

My Mother , Sisters, Grandmother, Aunts , cousins Nieces all have it in one form or another. 

Personally I would not care to take an anxiety med as I would hate to take something that would affect my brain.

LEMON BALM  tincture

MOTHERWORT  tincture

BUGLEWEED tincture 

I and others here have used this to great effect

....Mixed together in equal proportions into a large brown glass bottle ..

Take the mixture 3/4 times a day  .. or as required .

I am not a Doctor ..   but discovered after much searching ...this solution to my Anxiety and Panic attacks 

Please read about them individually on Google 

eg..

.   Bugleweed for Graves’ disease 

You will be astonished as to how they work and the end result .

If you do use them .. you will begin to need them less and less as you start to recover 

You must research as much as you can .. on here and online 

Can you post on here your last blood results so that we can try to help you .. don’t forget to type the  no’s. In brackets as those are your Labs scales .

Also those results belong to ..YOU ... and they are obliged to give you them !

Please do not give up ..  we’ve all been there ..  and most of us are well again .. you can be too..

Lie down to rest when you can .. drink lots of water, eat lots of veg and fruits nuts seeds  .. and good protein..   no diets required ... just good fresh food   ... and no sugar

You will feel great anyway eating those foods 

There are many supplements that also will help you .. but you must  want to do this to become 

Well  again .

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the bungleweed, I didn't know that could help with anxiety or Graves disease. I know thyroid issues run in my family but I don't believe my dad has it, he just always has had anxiety issues along with type 2 diabetes. He's had lots of blood work done for that so I'm sure they would have seen if it had anything to do with his thyroid. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm very new to this, I've only been diagnosed with it for three months. They say it's postpartum and hopefully will get better soon. I go in to have my blood work done on the 11th of this month to see how my levels are doing and check my liver with me being put on Methimazole. I really am hoping to see an improvement. Before I started it my levels were triple the normal amounts.

• Posted

i'm on buspirone 10 mg twice a day for anxiety and it has really helped with my anxiety and it doesn't give you brain fog like when you take xanax.  I am also on metoprolol and methimazole.  I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, goiter and graves disease this April.  I am still learning about all this stuff.  If your endo dr. won't prescribe you an antianxiety med maybe your reg dr. will.  I had real bad anxiety also.  Hope you feel better 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.