Anyone not had erectile dysfunction with citalopram?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Stopped taking citalopram 3 weeks ago after taking 10minutes for 7 days.

Wondering how long it takes for to get out of your system and everything goes back to normal.

Is 4 weeks to 3 months about right?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had Ed before going on citalpram now just the opposite go figure !?!?!?!
    • Posted

I had ED before going on citalopram as a result of anxiety attacks (suffered with ED for around 20 years but been fine for over 5 now).

Doctor prescribed citalopram to resolve the anxiety which he said would also bring back normal erectile function.

Stopped taking because of hot flushes and insomnia.

Still get anxiety but that's probably because I'm now worried about persistent erection problems due to the citalopram, although the doctors say this is highly unlikely due to the low dose and only taking it for 7 days. Think he's probably right and my issue is still anxiety?

What dose are you on?

• Posted

John, your doctor has no idea, as this med is the worst for erectile disfunction. one of the main reasons I ditched this terrible drug. I have been off it completely for some months now and still it causes havoc from time to time. Find another doctor who has your interest in mind. Cheers
    • Posted

Thanks Des. What strength were you on and for how long?

I only took it for 7 days and the 10mg tablets

• Posted

I honestly cannot see the med affecting you too much in seven days. I was on it for six years. i would advise you stay away from this med. many anti depressents have the same affect on libido etc. hope this helps  D

• Posted

Thanks. Helps a lot.

Can't see this affecting me within 7 days either. Probably just worrying over nothing, especially as I had erectile dysfunction before I started taking citalopram because of the panic attacks. Guessing that's why I've still got it now and thinking it's to do with the citalopram is making everything worse.

Really appreciate the comments and don't intend on taking anything like this again. Seeing someone for cbt on the anxiety now too.

• Posted

Hey! I've had erectile dysfunction for years Combined with anxiety and finally on cit to try and fix it. I know it seems counter productive when a side effect is erectile dysfunction but has there been any success in improving libido and maintaining An erection? It's my first day on 10mg

• Posted

Is your erectile dysfunction a result of the anxiety? Is it complete ED?
    • Posted

It's due to my anxiety, I'm 20 years old and my physical condition is fine it's just all in my head. My anxiety has gotten completely out of hand so the hope is that this will help rolleyes

• Posted

Yes, I have a girlfriend and can get fairly hard around her. It takes me a long time to ejaculate from foreplay and I've never had sex before. Everytime I try to I shut down completely and lose everything. What was the extent of your ED? I see you've overcome it before

• Posted

I had chronic ed before which I recovered from but now seems to have returned.

Although I think this is probably down to anxiety returning and not the citalopram.

But my advice would be not to use citalopram at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.