Anyone not had weight gain on lithium ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So have been on lamotrogene and aririprazole for around 3 years now and still manic and low so now suggested i try lithium but so scared as i have an eating disorder and terrified of the weight gain horror stories ive heard

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was on lithium 13 yrs I gained weight but you can control it by really eating healthy . Iv found even now I'm on aripriprizol I still gained weight but learnt for me the reason why. For me the medication controlled the anxiety so felt better so I ate more. Honestly give lithium a try if you feel you have no alternative but be strict and balanced what you eat you'll be fine .. Sam

• Posted

Oh one thing to remember when I was on lithium it caused me to have a under active thyroid if you do decide to go on lithium make sure when you have your blood test that they check as with me was undetected for 2 yrs ...Sam
    • Posted

Thanks for the info just read some horror stories and scared myself silly espically with an eating disorder but have no other choice really as no ther meds have xontrolled the bi polar to a livable existance
    • Posted

Honestly lithium has a lot of benefits so try if it's any use to you I was on lithium 3 yrs n decided to come off them along with other Meds....I'm doing great now starting college soon and just joined the gym ..hope all goes OK for u

• Posted

I'm on lithium and have gained weight but I've hypothyroidism so that doesn't help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.