Anyone over 55 still going through this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm beginning to feel alone in the fact that I just turned 59 and I'm still not considered post....periods still happening after not showing for 8, 10 months. Then boom back for a week, 2 weeks, 1 day...3 days...

When I look back I realize symptoms that I had gotten used to have been replaced by others. The anxiety never leaves....especially the health anxiety when some new nonsense pops up.

Where are my older ladies? Or am I a freak of nature? Doc says not to worry (right!!) Because tests are normal and sisters went late too. Told me to enjoy the estrogen "benefits"

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katy, some people get periods up to 60 years old late starters..your one probably so enjoy while you still have Estrogen and that I'm post menopause this year and suffering with Anixety and hot cold flashes health Anixety too..I'm the older lady here I'm 55 well not your age just typing this makes me hot Lol, sounds you follow in the same pattern as your sisters..hope when they finally finish things get better with me the crap begun 

• Posted

Thanks Maria...I guess I just never ever thought I'd still be going at this age! My sister's are 6, 8, and 17 years older so their generation never talked about "these things". But me and my 2 younger sisters and friends talk about it a lot ! I just never realized how common it is to stop later than 55! Thanks for making me relax!

• Posted

KatyD you need to read the post titled "65 and still bleeding"  (or something close to that)    There are plenty of women who fall on the far end of the bell curve.  

My periods also tapered, I'd skip a month or two, then 6 months at a time, only to have another one, before it all finally stopped.  All this really tells you is your body is still producing enough estradiol to occasionally produce a period.  I know it can be frustrating, but trust me, menopause itself isn't all that fun.   

• Posted

Thanks Gailannie! That made me breathe a sigh of relief! Yes it very frustrating but I guess I will count my blessings now considering what could be just around the corner!
  • Posted

KatyD,

I am 55 and down to getting my period every 3-4 months.  Sometimes they are light but last August I thought I was going to bleed to death lol. Anyway I have all the crazy peri symptoms and hope I will enter menopause soon cause this is exhausting but getting your period means your body is still producing estrogen which means your still young 🙂

• Posted

My Aunt Beatie said she was 65 when she finally hit menopause. When I told my GYN that she said it was impossible. But I'm sure my Aunt wouldn't lie about that! My sister-in-law is 58 and she is still going strong with her period. 

• Posted

Wow! Ok so I will count my blessings...just a little concerned when you compare yourself to your circle of friends. I'm still going but now that I think about it one of my girls just stopped last year at 60!

Thanks for pulling me out of my own head!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.