Anyone over the age of 40 who's a smoker and uses the Mini Pill?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My periods are coming every 2 weeks plus a cyst. My doctor said I can't take the combo pill because I smoke. Maybe 1/2 a pack a day trying to quit, so she put me on norethindrone .35mg. When I got the pamphlet it say no smoking . Anyone try this? And any side effects?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

This drug causes cysts. It is almost never mentioned as a side effect. Check the package insert for "Warnings" or "Risks." Paragraphs that look like this:

"2. Delayed Follicular Atresia/Ovarian Cysts

If follicular ... Often they are asymptomatic; in some cases they are associated with mild abdominal pain. Rarely they may twist or rupture, requiring surgical intervention."

"RISKS OF TAKING POPs"

"WARNING:  If you have sudden or severe pain in your lower abdomen or stomach area, you may have an ectopic pregnancy or an ovarian cyst. If this happens, you should contact your healthcare professional immediately."

"Ovarian Cysts

These cysts are small sacs of fluid in the ovary. They are more common among POP users than among users of most other birth control methods. They usually disappear without treatment and rarely cause problems."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.