Anyone's migraines affected by fumes such as cigars, petrol, perfume?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm wondering if there is anyone whose migraines are affected by fumes and other smells.  As far back as I can remember, if anyone comes anywhere near me smoking a cigar I get like a ping in my head and then the migraine starts and I have to take to my bed.  Within an hour or so after the start of the migraine I will start vomiting.  This can continue for three or four days, which leaves me weak and dyhydrated and I am unable to hold down food and drink. It then takes another few days for me to feel well again. 

I get a similar effect being around people wearing heavy perfumes and from petrol/diesel fumes, particularly in slow moving traffic. There are other things that affect me like the smell of burning garden rubbish.  It all sounds strange but I wonder if other migraine suffers are affected in a similar way.

I have been invited to a wedding in Mexico next year and I would love to go but as cigars are common there I am a little apprehensive.

A forum member reported the great results she has had from magnesium glycinate, which has left her migraine free for over 14 months.  I started taking these a month or so ago and although I've had migraines since, I am hoping that eventually they willl help.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with a similar experience.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Yes I am also extremely sensitive to smells, perfume, deodrants and aftershave being the worse!  It means I am extremely fussy over which I can use myself and tend to use very weak citrusy fragrances rather than heavy ones, but like you if I am in the company of someone who is wearing it I can almost throw up on the spot!  Instantly makes me feel very very nauseous and triggers a migraine in minutes and I feel so rude sometimes having to get away from people or asking them to wash it off!!  My poor husband has got a great collection of aftershaves over the years but is unable to wear them when he is out with me as I tell him to wash it off!!

Cigarettes also a problem, thank goodness there is a no smoking rule in the UK now as it just sets me off and I tend to avoid smokers and when I think about it, I hardly have any friends that smoke luckily.  My parents were heavy smokers when I grew up - fags, cigars so wonder if that started my problems as a child (have now been a migraine sufferer for 30 yrs).

I can also sympathise with you about petrol/diesel fumes affecting me, my worse has to be in Sri Lanka - had to endure a 4 hour car journey from the airport in bumper to bumper traffic - driver had the windows down as obviously too costly to run his air conditioning but subsequently nearly poisoned me and my hubby to be by the time we got to our hotel, with constant tooting of car horns it was just horrendous and I had to ask him to pull over a few times so I could be sick! How embarrassing but totally necessary!!  Got to the hotel and passed out literally for about 15 hrs, not helped I reckon by the fumes.

I hope you have luck with the magnesium - I tried that for over 12 months but sadly it never worked for me.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for that Mo - sounds very much like my experience. Cigarettes are a problem for me too but not as bad as cigars and, as you say, smoking is not allowed in many places now.  
    • Posted

Yes to all of the above, perfumes, pot purée etc and dense smoke like cigars and pipes especially. Thank god for the smoking ban.

I use fragrance free products and do not wear perfume

I'm on propranolol 80 mgs once a day it has reduced migraine to one episode a month, usually lasts 3 days but is also less intense, I take triptans the only drugs that help for me. Best of luck with the magnesium. X

• Posted

Hi Tezes

Glad to hear your migraine has improved.

It's good to know that there are others out there who share the same experience and can give support Over the years I've had a range of medication and I am now on Almotriptan and Amitryptyline, as well as having regular chiropractic treatment. I also have permanent vertigo and tinnitus but, thankfully, I am now able to have a good quality of life on my current medication.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Same here, esp perfume. With traffic fumes it's hard to say as I get car sick also. Mg doesn't help everyone, each person with migraine is different.
  • Posted

Yep Almotriptan, sertraline, propranolol and clonazepam, the last three for Dystonia but neurologist told me both propranolol and Clonazepam will also help migraine.

good luck, let us know how you get on with the magnesium

• Posted

Hello, 

Yes, I can sympathise too - strong smells are one of my main triggers as it’s possible, to a fair extent, keep an eye on what we eat but it’s so much more difficult to avoid  perfumes, aftershaves, pot pourri and scented candles in shops, etc.  I, too, stick to unscented products, never wear perfume, etc. and I also use unfragranced washing powder and cleaners as I’ve found, from bitter experience, that certain household detergents and cleaning products can trigger as well but, like you, if I unavoidably get bombarded with a heavy perfume or smell, I’m floored with a migraine for three or four days.

It’s a shame that so many of us are affected with this.

Best wishes,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.