Anyone seeing halos after cataract surgery with Vivity lens?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had Vivity lenses implanted three months ago. The promise is no halos but I see them at night. So this is a warning as well as a search to see if anyone else is having or had the same experience. My hope that the halos will go away with healing or drops for dry eye is fading. The halos are not as bad as the descriptions I've seen for multifocal lenses, but they are distracting and annoying. That is the bad part. The good part is I have fantastic vision during the day. There is a lot of discussion about loss of contrast sensitivity with Vivity. The only time I notice it is when I first enter a really dark room. It takes a long time for my eyes to see anything, although eventually they do, but probably not as clearly as normal eyes would see. It is a small thing. The halos are the only real downside.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

"The promise is no halos "

Whoever told you that should be taken out and shot. I think the correct statement would be, "In clinical trials no more significant amount of halos than a monofocal IOL"

Everyone's eyes and list of eye conditions vary. Some people will get halos with a monofocal.

There are just too many factors.

I would give you eyes time to heal and ask the doctor to check the lens and see what they say.

• Edited

Yes I have glares/starburst/lightstreaks after like 1 or 2 years after the surgery.

And I have Vivity in both eyes.

The lightstreaks are the worst since they go through the whole vision and the night became ugly and a picture or dystophobias.

If I have the money I'm gonna explant at least one eye and hope the doctor who also told me "THESE LENSES ARE LIKE MONOFOCALS YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS AT NIGHT" will die of corona asap. 😄DD

Greetings

• Edited

Could you please share your opinion about the range of vision of your Vivity lens? Do you need glasses for intermediate distance (e.g. computer screen, car dashboard, etc.) ? Thank you

• Edited

This is an Alcon simulation slide in a presentation promoting the Vivity. Halos are not zero, but are reduced compared to MF lenses, and not that much worse than the monofocal AcrySof IQ. But they are there.

• Posted

I wonder if anyone can confirm that its like that, because Im having glare like I had the Multifocalest Lense of all. Even tho I have vivity in both eyes and both eyes have lots of glare, even the surgeon said thats more than usually. "BUT THEN ITS LIKE THAT HAHA" that was her answer

• Posted

One would always suspect that Alcon would put the best face on the issue. That said the Vivity does not offer the depth of focus of most other MF or EDOF lenses, so there should be some benefit in that.

• Posted

I have one Vivity lens and I'm only 3-4 weeks in (getting a Panoptix in the other eye Friday). My Vivity lens is 20/20 for distance (Amazing!) and holds 20/20 up to about 18 inches, but then drops rapidly. I can read my phone well at 18" but not closer.

I have very minimal halos with pinhole light, headlights, flashlight, etc. I have less halo in my Vivity eye than in my "good" left eye. I can tell my left eye must have some non-visible cataract or my contact in that eye (correction -8.5) creates 2X the halo.

For those experiencing halo with vivity, are you sure it is not protein/PCO? I have heard from others that PCO build up is like 50/50 chances, but clears up well with a Yag. One lady I talked to noticed it within three weeks, but I guess it can take up to a year to fog up your vision. I keep checking my "new eye" obsessively to make sure it isn't fogging up 😃

• Posted

6 weeks in the hallows are not any better

i would like to know if there is any thing that can improve this, its very

frustrating!

• Edited

I have Vivity lenses in both eyes, implanted about a year ago. Let me start off by saying that I am very happy with them.

Now, as for halos. Yes, there is a price to pay for getting extended depth of focus. The image is "smeared out" or "stretched" out a bit at the optimum focus point, but that is not noticeable in most circumstances (at least, to me). However, at night, when I see a bright point source of light, there is always a ring around it. The light is in the middle, then there is a small gap, then a ring (halo) around it. The ring is a constant size, which is a bit wider for my near-vision eye compared to my far-vision eye. The rings (halos) are not huge.

But I have no streaks across my vision, and the halos are consistent, so it's easy to get used to them. For driving at night, I prefer to wear glasses, but that is partly because one eye is set for near vision. If I have to, I can drive at night without glasses, but for safety's sake I usually wear glasses. Even with glasses, I see a small halo around bright lights, but I can accept that.

Another factor, I think, at least for me, is that my vision now is so much better than it used to be, and I can accept imperfections. If I am in a situation where I can't see that well (like trying to read a book in bed with really low light), it just doesn't bother me. My whole life, I couldn't see well without glasses (other than to read things up close) so I was used to dealing with blurry vision on occasions when I didn't wear my glasses. Or when I wore contacts, sometimes they irritated me so much that I had to take one out and deal with that mixed vision. I guess what I am trying to say is that my history and my personality help me to accept some less-than-perfect vision at times. Because most of the time, I am much better off than I ever was.

And no, the rings/halos do not go away. They are a function of the optical design of the lenses. I do agree that doctors do not do a good job of explaining these things. I went to a very, very good opthalmologist, and he didn't do a great job of discussing tradeoffs and side effects, either. But I did some reading (this forum is so good), and I knew a little bit ahead of time about the tradeoffs. The doc picked the right IOL powers for me, which was the important thing (to me).

• Edited

Moderation permitting, here is a photograph showing halo images at distant focus for 3.0-mm and 4.5-mm pupils for the Tecnis ZCB00, B+L LuxSmart, Alcon Vivity, Tecnis Eyhance, and PhysIOL Isopure, as appearing in Juan Antonio Azor, et al., Optical Assessment and Expected Visual Quality of Four Extended Range of Vision Intraocular Lenses, published in a 2022 issue of the Journal of Refractive Surgery.

Here's a relevant extract from the article: "From a qualitative comparison, the Tecnis ZCB00 formed the sharpest images with both pupils, followed by the Tecnis Eyhance.... The LuxSmart and Vivity produced greater halos than the monofocal reference but remained constant when the pupil was changed. A more detailed observation reveals that the halo produced by the Vivity reduced slightly in size with the pupil enlargement. No other lens in this study showed such a singular characteristic."

• Edited

Thanks, it's a great pic and agree that Tecnis looks better. The impact of pupil size seems to appear more and more as a factor in RWE of iol visual acuity in actual clinical practice every month in published studies and online reports.

• Edited

Thank you for opening discussion on this. I also have halos after surgery with Vivity implants. This is not what I expected. The literature suggests nice pinpoints when one looks at headlights. For me, I see the headlight, then a gap, and then a bright halo. My opthomologist is capable, but did not explain that there was a possibility I would be seeing halos. It is so annoying that I have stopped enjoying driving at night. I am hoping the halos will go away, but at 3 months post-surgery they are just as strong as ever. It was explained to me that my vision at night would NOT be improved if I purchased long-distance glasses, but perhaps? it would help with the halos. Anyone know the answer to that? I was also told that turning up the dashboard lights would help. I tried it. It doesn't help. As one ages, the pupil size gets smaller, and apparently this can reduce the halo effect. Other than the halos, my daytime vision is great. I had -0.5 diopter correction in my left eye so I can read better, and 0 diopter correction in my right eye. I haven't seen anything online about how long it will take for halos to disappear. Any info on that would be appreciated. A nurse told me that it could take 6 months.

• Posted

You may gain something by getting prescription glasses for night time driving. Do you have a prescription for what you would need to get full distance vision. That prescription will tell you how much you will gain.

• Posted

I'm at 8 months with Vivity in both eyes and experience very significant glare spikes and noticeable halos at night, and to some extent day too. Daytime glare from car windshields etc is blinding. I've had very little improvement in this regard since day one with the Vivity lenses and have given up hoping it will improve.

I now use prescription glasses day and night, which reduces the glare somewhat, but even with these night driving is borderline unacceptable/dangerous. Wherever possible I now ask my wife to drive at night.

I'm in the process of organising a lense exchange for either Technis Eyehance (my Opthomologist's suggestion) or ZCB00. Hopefully this will be done in the next week or two and I'll report back on this forum after the new lenses have settled. Hopefully I have a more positive story to tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.