Anyone Self Cathing? I still am after over 10 years.

Posted , 25 users are following.

Haven't been here for awhile, but hopefully someone here still remembers me? if not, I used to post a lot about self cathing (CIC).

In a nutshell, over ten years ago my urologist said I would never be able to have a natural avoid again without a TURP. His exact words, "when pigs can fly".

So they must be flying, because many natural voids over the past ten years and in fact, for the past couple of months, all the voids were natural and my bladder empties completely.

I owe it all to CIC. My bladder ain't new -- nor am I -- but it's in significantly better shape than it was before I started self cathing.

Jim

5 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I will try the obsterical wipes, but don't remember recommending them 😃 Looks like just BZK and a little alchohol. The BZK wipes from the same manufaturer were always dry, but maybe it's the distributor.

Yes, Nocturia Polyuria. Have it myself to some extent. But why would that be a reason not to have a procedure. It won't cure it of course, but I don't see why you would wet your bed. You'd just wake up and go to the bathroom, instead of cathing.

I'm starting to think my UTI's are from my diverticulum and if so, not much I can do about it cept drink plenty of fluids, etc, but at the end of the day, diverticulums tend not to empty out completely, even with CIC, so the leftover/stale urine can become a breeding ground for bacteria.

Jim

• Edited

hi jim

i am 58 and been self cathing for little over a year. really been a game changer for me as none of the surgery options appeal to me.

• Edited

hi jim

i am 58 and been self cathing for little over a year. really been a game changer for me as none of the surgery options appeal to me.

• Edited

Michael, that's great to hear! With some luck, your bladder and detrussor muscles may rehabilitate to some extent as mine have.

Jim

• Edited

Hi Jim. Are you certain you really have all those UTIs? I use to think I had recurring UTIs but in fact when I got tested there was no sign of infection but rather just irritation. In fact over 7 years of CIC I have only had 2 confirmed UTIs. Once a month I do get what I feel is a UTI - burning and cloudy pee but in fact it is just urethral irritation caused by the rough end of the catheter irritating the meatus which then moves down into the urethra. I just take 2 tylenols and rough it out for a day and it goes away. Glad to hear you are doing well with your PVRs. Howard

• Posted

Yes, confirmed by culture. However, I will only treat if quite symptomatic. Asymptomatic bacturia is quite common with those that CIC and antibiotic treatment is not advised.

I'm thinking my problem may be with the diverticulum which never completely empties, even with CIC. It therefore can become a bacteria breeding ground.

I will find out soon enough if I have less (or more) UTI's without CIC than with.

Jim

• Edited

Facing needing to self cath for life as bladder chronically distended and retaining 1 litre post natural void. Age 57 and I'm finding the thought depressing. Any advice?

• Edited

Paul, That was my situation about eight years ago. I was told either I had to have a TURP operation or self cath (CIC) for life. I was more than depressed.

While many don't seem to have problems learning CIC, I had a very difficult and painful first two week. I really felt my life was over as I knew it.

Week three wasn't as bad. In a few more weeks, thinking that this is no big deal. And not too much after that, CIC became as routine and painless as brushing my teeth. Over the years, CIC became a non factor in my life.

Just do it. It may be easy at first, or it may not be. If not, just stick with it and it will be easy soon.

Best decision I ever made. And hey, if you really hate it, there are a number of prostate reduction procedures you may be a candidate for.

Jim

• Posted

Paul,

I was feeling the same 5 years ago and retaining the same, I'm 58 now.. Jim, Howard and this forum helped me get comfortable with NOT doing surgery, at least not yet. I cath 4-5 times a day and am still very active. I even go out for beers weekly. I keep the caths in my golf bag when I'm golfing, visit my car when I'm out drinking to get the caths or simply slide them down my Jean's held in place with my socks. Beer drinking makes me visit the bathroom more often than wine or mixed drinks but I've learned to live with this for now. As others have said, there's a lot worse things that can happen to us. I sleep through the night now as long as I stop drinking an hour or two before bed. Nothing to be depressed about!

• Posted

When I need a catheter I get it out of my car and carry it in my pants pocket and tuck the top part under my shirt. Sometimes you could even carry it in the open, most people would not even know what it is.

• Posted

It took me many practice times to get comfortable with CIC. I use Cure straight fr 8 or 10 coude tip. I have found using lots of lube and going slow makes it easier to insert catheter all the way in. The biggest challenge has been mentally accepting the fact (at least for now) of needing to cath once in a while. I had one trip to the emergency room for acute urine retention, and that was traumatic. Now I can CIC at home.

I'm too chicken to go down the route of surgery TURP etc.

• Edited

Hi Jim,

Yes, still cathing and it's been 5 years. Using the dive bomb technique you recommended, not wipes and no UTI's, Thanks for all your help 5 years ago!

• Edited

i am trying to make my own post to ask anyone to help me be able to self cath .. as i am according to my urologist on the 26 of this month his nurse is suppose to teach me how.. Other nurse from the clsc in montreal tell that learning wont be so hard but after a few days of self cathing its very likely that uretha will likely become so inflamed that wont be able to stand the pain and will have to come and get a foley placed back in .. This nurse is at like a major public health clinic in montreal quebec and i assume she is speaking of experience from dealing with hundreds and hundreds of patients like me that might only be able to self cath for a few days .. Can i please have any advice on this..

• Posted

Regardless of their credentials, unfortunately, the Montreal nurse is grossly misinformed. This is not uncommon, especially when it comes to self catherization (CIC) due to lack of proper information and training among health care professionals.

Millions of people successfully CIC worldwide and in some communities, such as the SCI community, the vast majority CIC.

Here is just one study that shows the high success rate for learning CIC (over 80%) and I believe the figure would be closer to 100% with additional training.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22350836/

Based on the feedback from my original CIC nurse, as well as here, most adapt very quickly. A minority, which includes myself, had a rough time in the beginning but were eventually able to CIC with time. It took me 3-4 weeks before I could do it without inflammation, however after that time it became as easy and painless as brushing my teeth.

Hopefully, your new CIC nurse is more enlightened than the first.

Plenty of information here and elsewhere on the internet on technique and choice of catheters should you need it.

My preference was for the Coloplast Speedicath Hydrophillic with Coude tip, but there are many other good ones. I started with size 14f and after practice went to a smaller 12 F.

Jim

• Posted

If your urethra is that inflamed, you probably also have a UTI, and are taking an antibiotic. Take advantage of that week or so on the antibiotic to keep catheterizing until your urethra adapts to it. After the first week you should be good to go, to keep doing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.