anyone stop citalopram after 12 days?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Cit for 12 days at 5mg and am know having alot of side effects, first being so out of feeling like i am drunk at night VERY deep sleep. Just can not function. My Dr said it would be fine to just stop them today.

I am not sure this is a good idea? she has also told me before to stop taking xanax and i know you cant just do that.she said since the cit was a low dose and i was not taking it that long i will be fine.

Does anyone know if this will be ok or have you done this?

thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

First of all I'm sorry you're struggling with side effects. What I will say though is that they do eventually go away. 5mg does seem like a very low dose did the doctor tell you to raise this at some point?

If you want to stop taking the cit purely because of the side effects I would say

Give it time. They really do go away and you eventually don't even feel like you're on tablets - appreciate not everyone is the same but just thought is give you my experience.

If there is another reason you're stopping them (your doctor believes their not right for you or something) then I wouldn't worry TOO much about coming straight off as it has been a short time. If this makes you uncomfortable cut the tabs in half and have 2.5 for a few days. You should be ok without doing this though.

Good luck

• Posted

She did want me to go to 10mg eventually but i am having such deep sleep problems at night,and head pressure,fluttering heart rate also.

I am also on xanax and have been for a year and would like to taper that off. I have looked into some research and i think most of my nervous is from the xanax itself. I wam 100 x worse then i was when i first went to the dr. so i thought about why take another pill that i wlll have to week off and feel the way i do.

If the problem is the xanax. My Dr of course says it is not but I am fine in the am until i take the xanax and then it is all down hill from there i am fine for about 3 hours and then get anxious again.

So my thoughts were that it is the xanax making me worse idk

thank you for your response

• Posted

Help!

I need some advice on here people, can anyone help?? Have been on 20mg of citalopram for 3 weeks now and although the crisis anxiety feelings are slowly reducing I still do not feel in control again. Any slight stressful situation makes my anxiety levels high again. I have been trying to do mindfulness but don't seem to bat off the thoughts. My confidence is really low and find the things I usually do really hard to do which adds to my anxiety and feel like its a cycle I am unable to control. I know its up to me and am debating whether to ask the Dr to up the citalopram to 30mg. Sleep is still a problem and don't seem to be able to get full nights sleep. If I were to up it I don't really want the groggy feelings that it gives me to increase. I just want to get back to the place where I was before all this anxiety came and made me feel like this.

Advice would be helpful from you guys!

Thankyou

Charlotte

• Posted

Charlotte

i would post your question in the :Anyone not have side effects of Citalopram section. It seems alot of people post there daily that can help you asap, I wish i could but I do not know much about Cit

good luck to you

• Posted

good morning everyone. been checking in but not posting, hope you didnt miss me too much x

well I've had a good cple of days. even met my wife and a cpl of her friends (none of which i know) in the pub, although I zoned out and was a little shakey later I feel very proud of myself for actually doing it. had some good news yesterday, my wife has a new job so we will be moving, I will only be an hours drive from my friends and family. althought this is something I want to do the move itself is causing me some anxiety, got a lot of negative thoughts going through my head atm. we both hate it here but I'm worried I might hate it more were we are goin ? , what if I cant handle the stress and have a complete breakdow ? what if she finds someone and leaves me ? OMG I need to speak to people again !!

wish me luck with this one, it feels like a massive step

ally xx

• Posted

Hi

Can anyone give me some advice?

I went back to the Drs yesterday as felt the citalopram needed upping as I wasn't feeling much better. I have been on it for 3 weeks now and understand its still early days. I understand that it takes 4-6 weeks to get into the system properly but hate this feeling so much! I am going away for a week and didn't want to feel this anxious or panicky as I will be unable to get back to the security of home! The Dr wouldn't up it as says it is too soon so prescribed diazepam which I know is only short term to get me calm before the citalopram truly takes effect. I was wondering if any other citalopram users have also been prescribed diazepam? If so has it helped? Plus how long does it keep you calmer for? The prescribed dose is only take when needed and can only take 3 pills @ 2mg per day.

Would be really nice to hear from anyone asap!

Charlotte

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.