Anyone struggle to eat with globus?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I've been suffering with oesophageal reflux, confirmed at endoscopy this week. I had already been struggling to eat much, partly to do with trying to avoid making the acid attacks worse but also I'm sure down to anxiety.

Now that I have reassurance of nothing sinister, and evidence of reflux only, I should feel more positive but I'd got myself so worked up about the procedure and what might be found that my anxiety levels had been through the roof for over a week. Since the endoscopy two days ago I've developed globus pharyngeus, something I had before about 4 years ago so recognise the symptoms.

My question is, has anyone else experienced difficulty, in the mind or otherwise, eating solids with this? I don't choke but I simply dont have an appetite and when I do eat, even soup, it feels like it doesnt go down properly for ages but it could be the globus?

Joanne

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The mind is powerful!!! I have PTSD with a general anxiety disorder along with hypersensitivity. Meaning normal things people would not pay attention to going on in the body, I go to extremes. Your feeling is typical with globus. my first bout with it I had the same issue with swallowing. more so with saliva swallowing but I got so stuck on concentrating when I swallow I felt like I was gonna choke when I ate. Anxiety is crazy how it works. But you have had a scope but when your anxiety overwhelms you sometimes it takes a while to go away. i find that omeprazole doesnt work for reflux as a good old fashion Pepcid chewables, preferably berry. You will be just fine. Get a perscripton for anxiety.

• Posted

I have been experiencing this since the beginning of this week after about 2 weeks ago had a gastritis flare up but I suspect GERD. I went to the ENT Wednesday and he said I have this globus, but doesn't explain the feeling of something stuck in my left side of my throat, even some food gets stuck there. He didn't even bother to scope my throat either. I am going back to my doctor to refer me to another ENT, one an hour and a half away. I've been having issues swallowing, which more likely called Pharyngeal Dysphagia. Its very very troubling and depressing. I am not sure if whatever is affecting my throat is also affecting my tongue or upper throat. Its as if the middle back part of my tongue is not responding correctly or not re flexing properly to swallow. So I have to tilt my head to the right to swallow cause I'm afraid to try and just swallow normally

• Posted

i have had this exact feeling, however it started with globus, which is now not as bad but the swallowing is making me stressed its like you explained takes time, i am waiting a scope

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.